Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
9,921 Posts
Build your own. I did years ago and am glad I did. You don't need fancy just function and adjustment.

Then when you are done, sell it to another guy and get most of your money back.

There may even be some one in Austin and surrounding area that has one they want to sell.

Mikey

·
Registered
36,976 Posts
Been a while, but I built a rotisserie from internet plans for about $150 worth of steel + whatever the casters cost. Took two weekends. First weekend to cut all the pieces to length and get started on drilling some of the holes needed. Second weekend to finish the drilling and to weld it up. So 4 days and they were not all that long. Major tools needed were a way to saw the pieces, a mig welder, and a drill press.

The one I built is universal, will mount just about anything. Can adjust the brackets for height and width, adjust the pivot point for CG height, length is adjustable too. I have had both the body and frame of my 55 on it.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I made my own, too. I had never seen one in person, so the one I made was way overbuilt. If you can raise the body off the frame using hoists, you won't need the hydraulics the Eastwood one has. I dispensed with the locking pins, too & just used braces clamped onto the arms which was sturdy enough. Whatever you do, get a rotisserie; I couldn't have done my project without it. Just being able to turn the body sideways to weld in new rockers makes it worth it. Plus, like Mikey said, after you're done you can sell it to another gearhead. I did.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the advice. I was able to borrow a Auto Twirler from a friend of mine that just took his car off of it.
I actually had my car on this same rotisserie when I first started years ago. This time I only need it to prep and paint the bottom of the car. So this worked out great because I really only needed it for a very short time.

I

·
Registered
67,365 Posts
good to have a friend like that. :tu ------> you get a chance :pics-1: (hint!)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought mine from autotwirler.com. I bought the base model at the time (2007?) which is similar to the AutoTwirler Classic. I'm not sure they make this model anymore. They were located in south central Indiana so I rented a U-haul trailer and picked it up.

I used it to mount the frame for my '57 Nomad for weld repairs. It worked well for that. I have not mounted a car body on it yet. At the rate I am going, it may be a year or two or three.

When I bought it, my thought process was that I would rather spend time welding on the car than building a rotisserie.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good to have a friend like that.
------> you get a chance
(hint!)
Yes indeed... I am working on the exhaust now and once finished the body is going back on the rotisserie. So don’t have any pictures yet but here is one several years back when I started. This is the same rotisserie that I will be using again.

CF0D6B6C-5BF3-46FC-9578-E3A915044A87_1587357654992.jpeg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts