Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a complete newbie to this stuff. It appears my car was raced by a previous owner and many things seem to be missing... I took some photos and typed a couple questions about where brackets should be etc... Could anybody confirm and help me out? Thanks for any info anybody can offer...

The photos can be viewed here...

http://56bowtie.blogspot.com/

John

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome to Trifive! http://www.trifive.com/garage/56%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/5-6.gifThe link is to the assembly manual's page on the parking brake. It shows the center pivot fairly well. Yes you are missing a bracket for the cable. Where it looks like something was removed, my '55 has a bracket attached to the frame that extends about 8 inches for an exhaust hanger. Hope this helps, Jesse
Edit: the exhaust hanger is further forward on the frame, so I don't know what was removed-probably not a stock part

·
Administrator
49,959 Posts
Welcome to Tri Five. I can`t tell which floor brace is pictured but if it is the center one then yes that is where the e-brake brackets go, one on each side of the tunnel.
Terry

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks jh1955! Bob had sent me a tech article which showed a different angle of the same things. (Thanks Bob!) I'm glad to know I have the locations pinpointed. How can I fix that bent bracket, and how do I get a new one for the other side? Do I need to have one made up and welded on? Sorry for all the questions, like I said, I'm pretty new to all of this.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Terry! So I'm assuming I need to remove the driveshaft loop? I guess that thing is for racing and is not on most cars?

John

68,758 Posts
:hello: hi john and welcome. good to have you here. might want to get yourself a assembly and shop manuals (if you don't have). will come in handy.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! That is definitely on the list to buy. (Along with all the brake stuff I need to get now :) ) So I take it I will have to have a new bracket fabricated and welded on?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,858 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Thanks Terry! So I'm assuming I need to remove the driveshaft loop? I guess that thing is for racing and is not on most cars?

John
Yep it is a driveshaft safety hoop...prevents the driveshaft from dropping if a u-joint is twisted off under hard acceleration...you're right not a "stock" piece.

·
Administrator
49,959 Posts
I take it I will have to have a new bracket fabricated and welded on?
The E-brake brackets bolt to the floor braces, no need for welding, if they didn`t mess up the threded holes.
Terry

·
Administrator
49,959 Posts
For safety purposes, I'd keep the hoop on.
The e-brake shaft would stop the driveshaft from dropping down since it is in the same location as that loop. Plus for a street legal car the e-brake will be required.
Terry

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great stuff everybody! I think I may have to purchase those brackets... Thanks for the link! But what about the missing bracket on the passengers side like the one which is bent upward on the drivers side? I'm guessing I will have to have one fabricated, or try to find one from a donor car?

·
Administrator
49,959 Posts
I'm guessing I will have to have one fabricated, or try to find one from a donor car?
They are for sale fairly regular on ebay. If you can`t find the set let me know, i may have a spaer set i could sell you.
Terry

·
12,256 Posts
I have a couple of complete e-brake setups including the brackets that bolt to the brace, pulleys, bar, asjusters, etc. I'll sell the pieces for 75% of what Ecker's charges for them. ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NICE!!! Thanks everybody! I might have to take you up on the offers! Chevynut, I lived in Fort Collins for a short time!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts