Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 55 bel air convert 265 4bl power pack. 2 speed auto. 78,000 original miles. restored about 7 years ago I think if I can remember. question is does everyone have a slight gap between the stock 4 brl carb and the manifold? I even went to Hot Rods N Stuff down by my house and they said no. They pulled an original 55 carb out and held it up and said, "damn I never realized that before. There is a slight gap." Car runs good but every once in a while just dies. they couldn't get it to die unless they went fast in it and jammed on the brakes then it would die but told me it was normal. I was thinking vapor lock...clear bowl always level. seems like it happens more when its hot or warm weather or at end of longer cruise. I even told the shop to fix what ever they thought was wrong just let me know ahead of doing the work thinking they would just throw ideas out. they told me it was perfect. anyone have the same problem? or maybe its not a problem but warm weather is coming up and I get worried.
thanks all
Zan

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
12,463 Posts
I believe what you precieve is a gap is not. The stock carb to intake is cast a bit different then later stuff, and the OEM style gasket does not go all the way out to the edge of the carb base plate. Not a well know fact, but the 4bbl carb was adapted from other GM products to be used on Chevy. One of the reasons there is an early carb and a latter one. Done for design reasons and simplicity of the linkage. So your eyes decieve you. You could pull the carb and see where the carb and manifold really seal from the impression on he gaskit.

Mikey
55wagoncrazy

·
Premium Member
13,092 Posts
I believe what you precieve is a gap is not. The stock carb to intake is cast a bit different then later stuff, and the OEM style gasket does not go all the way out to the edge of the carb base plate. Not a well know fact, but the 4bbl carb was adapted from other GM products to be used on Chevy. One of the reasons there is an early carb and a latter one. Done for design reasons and simplicity of the linkage. So your eyes decieve you. You could pull the carb and see where the carb and manifold really seal from the impression on he gaskit.

Mikey
55wagoncrazy
I agree ,,,,

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did take a close look how it goes and your all right. there is no leak, there is a look like a slight offset gap. but closer look it does rest on the gasket on the back to seal it. thanks guys.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I agree with the others, there should be no gap. But!! I have a 52 Plymouth with a flathead 6 and a 1 barrel carb. After I bought it, I needed to replace the exhaust manifold gasket and when I touched the carb it just lifted up and was not tight at all. I was shocked that the car ran well and the carb was essentially just sitting on the manifold.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
265 4 BBL Carb

I did the same thing to my '55 a few years ago. I converted the 265 2 BBL to 4 BBL. I bought the manifold from Houston, and a carb and air cleaner from a fellow Trifive member in Florida. But it turned out the carb wasn't the right one. It had a gap too. And it sucked air and never would run right. So I contacted Mister Carburetor in Ohio at 972-291-1101 and he bought my carb for core and sold me the correct one. The '55 4 BBL manifold is very specific and only the '55 Carter WCFB or '55 Rochester will fit it correctly.

:anim_25:

Joe

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
I have 55 bel air convert 265 4bl power pack. 2 speed auto. 78,000 original miles. restored about 7 years ago I think if I can remember. question is does everyone have a slight gap between the stock 4 brl carb and the manifold? I even went to Hot Rods N Stuff down by my house and they said no. They pulled an original 55 carb out and held it up and said, "damn I never realized that before. There is a slight gap." Car runs good but every once in a while just dies. they couldn't get it to die unless they went fast in it and jammed on the brakes then it would die but told me it was normal. I was thinking vapor lock...clear bowl always level. seems like it happens more when its hot or warm weather or at end of longer cruise. I even told the shop to fix what ever they thought was wrong just let me know ahead of doing the work thinking they would just throw ideas out. they told me it was perfect. anyone have the same problem? or maybe its not a problem but warm weather is coming up and I get worried.
thanks all
Zan
Maybe the base plate of the carb is warped
causing a slight vacuum leak?
I had a warped base plate on one of my Holleys
years ago and could see a gap between the
carb and intake.I tried tightening it up more
and broke off one the corners of the base plate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.