1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Would not touch this car unless it was made legit. Then the billet and circus wheels would have to go.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Possible Explanations why the report is not available include:
•The seller didn't enter the vehicle identification number correctly.
•The vehicle is too new to have a history report.
•The vehicle was manufactured prior to 1981.
•The vehicle didn't have a 17-digit vehicle identification number.
•The vehicle wasn't intended for the US market (such as limited production exotics).
. Because its stolen.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Well they turned dowm my offer of scrap price which is all its worth without a valid VIN, Did anyone see the artical about the guy who got his motercycle back the other day that was stolen in 1967. I had sold and was on its way to Japan.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Almost all the old cars do not have a Car fax report.Prior to record keeping or just no record at all unless a recent post.
The VIN looks sloppy. It does not even look like the originals. Remember the original stainless has a raised rectangular frame punched outward all the way around the plate. It is approx 1/16 of an inch from the edge of the plate. Oh you all can look at your own tag.... Looks like homemade or they cut the edge off. .
Yes I saw the news report on the motorcycle that was recovered. It said the owner was too old to handle the motorcycle now. Mike

·
Registered
806 Posts
My guess,

1. Not stolen, why, if someone was trying to replicate a vin tag for this car if stolen they would pay 1k to someone that has the skill and technology to make one pass the most severe reviews. I believe the technology is there to reproduce one.

2. What idiot is going to try and sell a stolen car in such a public marketplace.

3. Is not the vin also stamped on frame.

4. On a build like this I can see some employee disassembled the car, removed vin and lost it.

A review of all the historical documents could dispell all concerns. The owner should be able to adequately explain why the vin looks the way it does. If not walk away.
Someone that likes it will save thousands.

Sometimes we gotta read a book before critic it.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Sometimes it floors me how light some on here take take illegal activity. The correct thing to do if this plate is missing is get a state assigned one put on in place of orginal

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Unless I missed it,did anyone see a photo of the Cowl Tag?
I agree that VIN Tag sure looks hokey and suspicious.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Highway Patrol.

Sometimes it floors me how light some on here take take illegal activity. The correct thing to do if this plate is missing is get a state assigned one put on in place of orginal
Every vehicle to be titled and registered in Kansas, either new or from out of state, prior to applying at the DMV, must undergo an inspection at a Kansas Highway Patrol Vehicle Inspection Station.

When I first moved to KS I assumed it was a safety inspection. The KHP inspects the documentation including insurance verification, and VIN, as well as the presenter's drivers license. If KHP likes the look of things, a form is completed for presentation to the DMV and you are on your way.

No state safety inspection system. KHP is after thieves.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Illegal activity should not ever be rewarded, as for me being a retired enforcent officer, I withhold judgement until all facts have been gathered. Then still until the facts have been evaluated by the courts.

As an investigator one must evaluate any rebuttals before they are made, then disprove them before they have been offered as rebuttals.

I agree, lost vin tag should get a new one assigned.

I still say most likely not stolen unless the seller is a total idiot, or is begging to get caught.

Alternatively, the owner could be ignorant, bought it as is, now is selling, and has no idea it has problems. In that case he is still an idiot for buying a car that may have problem with

vin.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Most likely its an old hulk drug out of a grove and the title was lost decades ago. Found a title somewhere and manufactured a VIN plate to match the title. This is another one where a 4 year old with crayons and construction paper could have made a more convincing VIN plate.
I hate to nitpick peoples rides but this car has absolutely zero attention to detail all the way through. Is it just me or is that interior just ghastly. Looks like a bad plan poorly executed.
Better hop off the six figures and start thinking 60-65K if it ever wants to find it a new home. 'Course as soon as I say that along comes the fool and his money. Unfortunately he never stops by my place....

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Looking past the obviously home-made VIN tag (ahem!), we also have a bellhousing that's missing the inspection cover. You can see the flywheel teeth and the torque converter.

Yep - all the signs of first-rate craftsmanship. :sign0020:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts