Votes: 1 12.5%
  • $4,000

Votes: 3 37.5%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At first I was going to list this under eBay listings, but I thought this would be a little more fun. Let's take a poll! How much is it worth?? And, please post your opinion of this listing! (Honest, dishonest, it's ok to paint a nice picture, etc.)

The primary reason I am posting this is to get your opinion: Is this eBay listing an adequate description of the vehicle condition?

Ok... I looked at this car. It would make a good project car, but needs extensive work. I don't exactly agree with this guy’s assessment of the car. Take a look at the eBay listing, and then take a look at the pictures I took. He is trying to sell it locally, his craigslist listing is asking for $11,900.

In my opinion, the electrical system does not work. When I went to look at the car, the battery was dead and he had to swap batteries for me to see it run. Also, when the car was running the generator light was on.

The brakes don't seem to work well, they pulled the car to the left rather strongly. I could see it, and I wasn't even driving.

The trunk is rusted, but not all the way. It could probably be salvaged. Also, under the carpet in front of the seats the floor is rusted through and there are metal plates screwed to the floor so your feet don't go through. There are rust holes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4647029355

·
Registered
957 Posts
I paid 7K for mine in 2000. 90,000 original miles. I was the third owner, the other two were grandpa and grandson. The car had been totaled (due to low insurance value) in the 1970's (front end wrecked but the family bought it back and had it repaired).
Surface rust only on the car. Drove it 450 miles home and started my project.
So I replaced the frame (which had been welded, bent, etc) during the frame-off.
I voted 4000.
And by the way, I bought mine off eBay too.
My Favorite Car

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Looks like he definitely omitted a problem or two!My advice is to purchase the very best car you can afford.The additional money up front will be well spent......the money you save on the body repair and restoration will more than make up for it.The exception to this would be the fellow that posesses the skill to do nearly 100% of the work himself.I do much of the work myself on the cars I build but farm out the body/paint and upholstery work.I have saved many thousands of $$ over the years starting out with nice complete original cars or sometimes older restorations.I feel you get a better end result as well.From the photos,I'd be hesitant to pay $5K for that car but there are lots of unknowing people in the world.I bookmarked the auction just to see where it ends up!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Late 55

I completely agree about buying the best car you can afford. Money wise, it just doesn't work out.

The main reason I posted this thread was to get peoples feel on truth vs. reality on eBay. I had hoped that more people would sound off. My opinion is that this guy has some really large omissions in his eBay listing. If I lived out of state, bought that car and had it shipped... and found rust through on the doors- wow, I would be upset. Like, "I'm gunna get a layer and own somebody" upset.

And, check this out! it's obvious that he has been bidding on his own car! Look at the user ID for the eBay listing, then look at the bidding history user ID's!

The listing is by "rodfather_enterprises" and the high bidder is "sonfather_enterprises"

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Buying a car on ebay without actually looking at it would be kinda risky, and that goes for any car not just this one. If you ever did that you'd have to just accept whatever is delivered and blame yourself if it's not right.

Bidding on your own item isn't allowed on ebay, is it? Might want to report him.

My feeling about the car is this -- he has a nice looking car (in photos at least) and is trying to maximize his sales price. If you're a smart guy, like thehazmatguy, you go there with a magnet and anything else and take a good look. This car is, in my opinion, not worth the money he wants for it, but that doesn't mean it's just an out-and-out piece of crap and the seller is a total creep, it just reinforces the old adage that you should look before you leap. I drove all the way from Florida to Iowa to look at a car I found online (not ebay) and it was quite a bit rougher than the photos and not nearly as nice as the description I got from the seller when I talked to him on the phone! So I talked him down a few thousand and took it. I was prepared to walk away if I had to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts