Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am all about saving money. However this ebay motors stuff drives me crazy! There's so much JUNK being advertised "same as" quality brands. This really makes it hard for a customer looking for quality and in my opinion is a pretty cheap form of flat out lying. Again, I don't care if they sell junk. But advertise it as such! I have been a distributor for a number of different fan companies. In the electric fan world, you definately get what you pay for. I won't name the companies, but "A" companies are advertising electric fans the same quality as "B" companies. We have done our homework and guys, I can tell ya, A's junk doesn't even come close to the quality B puts out. These companies are getting away with taking quality away from customers at the same time setting them up for a possible disastrous experience. I just got off a 30 minute phone conversation with a customer who now wishes he had not gone this route. Question is, are you guys ok with that? Can anyone share any horror stories of guys trying to save a buck by buying junk, eventually spending three times more? I'm hoping to save some hot rodders some frustration...
That concludes my vent of the day...

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
I've learned over time and experience that buying from reliable sources and maybe spending more to get quality.
research always helps too.
I'm buying most of my parts from sponsors here knowing that they will take care of anything that comes up. :tu

·
Registered
673 Posts
I learned to buy only local,from my speed shop,no problems.

When you get into building a ride for yourself,do it once,do it wright.

In body repair,I had some of my customers buying the Bondo brand filler

and wonder why they were having so many problems applying,sanding,

smoothing to get a clean edge.I asked them why there using such a poor filler

They said they were trying to save money.............WOW!!!

I had them remove all that filler and told them to buy a can of RAGE filler.

Problem fixed

www.howardsbackyardautobody.com

·
Registered
37,580 Posts
Some Ebay sellers hide behind the anonymity of Ebay. In other words they might say something they wouldn't say to a customer that was in contact with them some other way.

But I don't think that Ebay is all the fault here. It's just as easy for any radiator seller, no matter the venue, to tout somebody's lesser fan and either use that to increase their margin or to lower the package price. For that matter, a third party could (and no doubt has) with both the radiator and the fan.

I also like to think that both the good and the bad products will eventually get exposed on forums like this, except for one thing. One can't be too vocal about a sponsoring vendor, or you'll be quieted in some way. But I also understand where the bills get paid. And that leads me to the next point - you couldn't say whose fan, could you?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
No local speed shops here.

Had a few problems on ebay.

But Summit is my best friend. I can order Monday and get parts Tuesday.

With all the racing around here you would think there would be speed shop.

If the guys at Autozone asks me what it is in again, I will got nuts.

Cannot go to Advance anymore after telling them it was for a 1983 Vette. Manager finally asked me to leave. :sign0020:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,898 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys, a bit of false information from Mr. Slim, but expected from forums.... My company, Mattson's Inc. Custom Radiator, has never sold anything BUT SPAL electric fans. Sorry I had to clear that up. Good try though Slim! :happy0030:

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Walked past your booth at LA Roadster show, all the fans on display were Spal?
You sent a PM saying the "old" Mattsons filed bankruptcy last year?, I still saw the same people behind the counter that I see at the swap meets for the last few years?(many years)
If ALL those fans are SPAL, then I was mistaken.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Didn't want to because we are getting off subject, but...
Yes, all electric fans on our display were SPAL except for the Sidewinder which was invented and produced by my father, Jack Jr. The motor for the Sidewinder is brushless and as far from junk as we could get. I take great pride in our quality and customer service. Although some may have my shop confused with the old shop, it is not. I completely understand that folks don't know our history, so I understand the blasts.
As for the employees at the roadster show, you saw me, my father, and Johnny Anderson. Johnny is a friend of my fathers and never worked at the old shop. I left the old shop as soon as the new owner took over 12 years ago. My father sold the shop to Sean 12 years ago and did in fact work for him. Sean worked my father to death the past years, making him build brass radiators, and take the blunt of the junk work he was producing. My father also attended the swap meets without getting paid and had to jump when the new owner said to. Needless to say, the old owner of the shop and I didn't get along.
Sorry to interupt the thread subject guys, but I thought it was necessary.

·
Registered
865 Posts
a friend recommended Mattsons Custom Radiators. This set up is exactly as touted, fit perfect. Fans work very well, quieter than most. although only one has turned on - never has gotten hot enough for number 2 fan.

Oh, operating well -4- years now....

Thanks You Mattsons !!

Attachments

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Just like any other venue, word of mouth will eventually make quality known. In ebays case, the word of mouth is the feedback, you have to look at the feedback before you buy, If they are selling junk, it will show up

·
Registered
738 Posts
Didn't want to because we are getting off subject, but...
Yes, all electric fans on our display were SPAL except for the Sidewinder which was invented and produced by my father, Jack Jr. The motor for the Sidewinder is brushless and as far from junk as we could get. I take great pride in our quality and customer service. Although some may have my shop confused with the old shop, it is not. I completely understand that folks don't know our history, so I understand the blasts.
As for the employees at the roadster show, you saw me, my father, and Johnny Anderson. Johnny is a friend of my fathers and never worked at the old shop. I left the old shop as soon as the new owner took over 12 years ago. My father sold the shop to Sean 12 years ago and did in fact work for him. Sean worked my father to death the past years, making him build brass radiators, and take the blunt of the junk work he was producing. My father also attended the swap meets without getting paid and had to jump when the new owner said to. Needless to say, the old owner of the shop and I didn't get along.
Sorry to interupt the thread subject guys, but I thought it was necessary.
Fair dos to you - if you don't tell us then we won't know, no apology required.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I rely on feedback. No feedback on particular item I am buying, or negative feedback sends me looking elsewhere. I've been relatively happy with my numerous ebay purchases.

Lots of good, quality products being sold on Ebay, I hear of junk and misrepresentation as well. Relying on feedback has certainly helped me eliminate some problems purchasing from the sketchy sellers.

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
Ebay is the vehicle, not the driver. The driver is the culpret.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Ebay, in it's purest state is a good thing. It provided an avenue for many sellers to reach buyers across the world. Now there are always dishonest sellers, and buyers for that matter. Buyer "due diligence" is the name of the game. Ebay provides the feedback so other buyers can have a reasonable idea of the sellers character. Buyer beware is the order of the day.
Now most sellers that don't like Ebay usually can't compete with many of the low price offerings and will complain about Ebay to try and disuade potential buyers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mattson, I am going to PM you regarding a fan for my 55. I have heard good things from other customers of yours.

For what it is worth....

I bought my 55 2dr HT on Ebay sight unseen. I spoke with the owner multiple times and got numerous pictures and then had him ship the car out to me. After receiving the car I actually thought his description of the car was too harsh? It's always buyer beware, but sometimes it's hard to remember that there are still some good guys left...

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
hmm, stop buying for price, and buy for quality. that may change everything..........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts