Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed here some apprehension about buying on eBay. This is justified alot of the time. I have about 5-6 rules I follow all the time and don't have much trouble with crooks. I have a feedback of 120 something with 100% Positives, and have been a eBay member since 1998. I Buy mostly to finish my 55, and sell for the same purpose.
My Rules/Guidelines
1. I never buy from someone with less than 10 Positive feedbacks. They have more learning to do than I have time to deal with.
2. I shy away from sellers who have a feedback percentage less than 97%, and have alot of negative's. I check the feedback on everybody that has something I'm interested in. I search the feedback for negatives to try get a feeling for the seller, and how they handle problems, and if the negative was earned, or prematurely given by a buyer. Any doubt and no deal. Whatever they are selling, there will be 3 or 4 more in a week or 2. I don't care how "rare" it is.
3. Use Paypal. I know there are people who hate it and will have different opinions about that. Just expressing mine. It's easy to buy and sell. The deals go through quick. It may cost some sometimes. I have heard this but, I have always made more than it ever cost me. If you are buying it's basically free. To have a premier account so you can take credit cards off ebay there is a charge but it always costs to run a business and this is just one.
4. I personally don't buy from out of the country. US and Canada. Make sure you are not buying something from Asia or something. Just because of the obscene shipping charges. Nothing worsat than getting a good deal on something for $10 and having $45 in shipping. The "good" deal goes sour real fast.
Most of the above deals with buying, if you are selling here's a couple.
5. Don't exagerate the condition of the item. Be honest about the quality of the piece. Nothing will get you a Negative feedback faster than a customer looking at a part he just got and thinking," this is junk."
6. Ship it to them as fast as possible.
7. Leave feedback!!!
8. A paypal account is a neat place to stash away a few carbucks for the quick deals that come up. And the other half doesn't need to know about it.;)
These are just a few thoughts that may help you out. I have to go eBaying now.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
I bought my 57 off ebay. Lots of hidden rust etc, but all in all I was so glad to get it, I am happy every time I make just the smallest progress.

Couple of saying I have found to watch out for when buying.

Rust free, usually means rust a plenty

Runs Good - something worng

Daily driver - needs lots of work

Otis:)

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
If you see something there you want, bid what it takes for it to be a good deal for you and leave it alone. If you get into a bidding war you wind up paying too much.

·
Administrator
49,355 Posts
Looks like some good common sense approaches to buying or selling on e-bay. I`ve faired pretty well there myself and have saved a lot of money on some items for my 57. I definitely agree on reading the feedback and heeding what some have to say about a seller. I have passed on some neat items because of their feedback, let someone else have the headache.
Terry

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
I have sold lots and bought lots on ebay.

Never bid ahead of time, all you will do is make the price go higher, new bidders often do that, plus some sellers have their friends bid to drive price up.

I never bid until the last couple of minutes, usually a item that is being bid on will be won in the last few seconds of an auction. So everyone that bid ahead of time just drove the price up and made the seller happy.

So if an item has 10 days to go, I wait 9 days 23 hours and 58 minutes before i bid, if I want to get the best deal at the best price.

Also if you bid say 10.00 on an iten, I will win because I always bid 10.05 , in the last few seconds.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
73 Posts
Of course always check feedback...If a seller has negative feedback I check the feedback of the member who left it because there are some bad apples on ebay and good folks can run into them...If the guy who left bad feedback has a lot of negatives i disregard his feedback left to the seller...I have bought several cars on ebay and have yet to be disappointed. I don't set my expectations too high though...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Bought my '56 on eBay. Bought the engine there. A few weeks ago I bought a new Edelbrock carb there and saved big $ over Jeg's price. Buy lots of old telephone stuff there too.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Be aware of the middle man! Sometimes (most times) when you buy something from an Ebay store or a buy it now, they are just the middle man. I have found that when I have done that I get a Danchuk box anyway and all I managed to do is give the middle man a few bucks. :mad:

Do your homework on the pricing before you bid or buy as some Ebay vendor's WILL treat you right, but some won't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I buy and sell on Ebay. Got a kick-arse deal on my '56, still feelin' lucky over that one, made good money too, sold a '67 Chevelle there and made 1300 bucks in two weeks on a flip. Its good stuff, but always caveat emptor. And sometimes seller beware too. Just be careful, I hate a thief, and I hate to see a good guy get screwed worse!!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ebay Rocks

I'm a die hard ebayer. Got my 55 off it and all the parts to include the engine I plan to put into it. I would give one piece of advice. I almost got burned paying for a hood and then not getting my item. At first the person was reponding to my emails and then they stopped. Then I noticed the person dropped their ebay account. Now I couldn't even post bad feedback. I decided I would file a complaint/dispute with PayPal. I really didn't think they would be able to resolve the problem. They gave the guy a set amount of time to reply. When he didn't I automatically won and they reversed the transaction and I have my money back. I used to not like PayPal now I won't do business any other way.

·
12,256 Posts
Also if you bid say 10.00 on an iten, I will win because I always bid 10.05 , in the last few seconds.Otis:)
Not anymore, because I'll bid 10.06 :)

I once got a brand new $850 Holley Commander 950 EFI controller kit off of eBay. It was a 4-cylinder setup, so almost nobody wanted it and only one guy was bidding. He bid $100 and it stayed there until the last 2 minutes when I bid $650 for it. The other buyer was frantically updating his bid $20 or so at a time until he got to $180. I got it for $181 or thereabouts, and probably could have done better had I waited until the last minute or so. Turns out I checked with Holley before bidding and found out that it's the exact same setup at a V8 but missing 4 injector connectors, which I bought pretty cheap. When I got it it was still in a sealed box. Such a deal. :)

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,821 Posts
I got my rear package tray the same way. I got it for $36.00 plus $20 shipping. My wife is a good E-bayer as well and knows how to snipe stuff.
Eldon

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I'm a die hard ebayer. Got my 55 off it and all the parts to include the engine I plan to put into it. I would give one piece of advice. I almost got burned paying for a hood and then not getting my item. At first the person was reponding to my emails and then they stopped. Then I noticed the person dropped their ebay account. Now I couldn't even post bad feedback. I decided I would file a complaint/dispute with PayPal. I really didn't think they would be able to resolve the problem. They gave the guy a set amount of time to reply. When he didn't I automatically won and they reversed the transaction and I have my money back. I used to not like PayPal now I won't do business any other way.
That's the best way to do an ebay deal -- paypal. A friend of mine had to do the same thing you did and would've lost her money otherwise. I guess there might be some credit cards that'll back you too.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Not anymore, because I'll bid 10.06 :)

I once got a brand new $850 Holley Commander 950 EFI controller kit off of eBay. It was a 4-cylinder setup, so almost nobody wanted it and only one guy was bidding. He bid $100 and it stayed there until the last 2 minutes when I bid $650 for it. The other buyer was frantically updating his bid $20 or so at a time until he got to $180. I got it for $181 or thereabouts, and probably could have done better had I waited until the last minute or so. Turns out I checked with Holley before bidding and found out that it's the exact same setup at a V8 but missing 4 injector connectors, which I bought pretty cheap. When I got it it was still in a sealed box. Such a deal. :)
So you are the guy that did that to me:eek: :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Please report the scabs and scammers on Ebay

I search Ebay everyday looking for the beginnings of my 55 project. Everything the folks said before regarding strategy is right on target.

But one thing I'd ask everybody to do is report all these obvious scabs and scammers. You know the ones that show a $100K car for a "Buy It Now" price of $9500. But the "seller" insists that you contact him before you are allowed to bid. Or the same car being offered by 2 or 3 different sellers (even at the same time). Currently on Ebay is a 55 ragtop listed at $9100 that has multiple listings/seller IDs it is obvious that the car is a $75,000 machine (well I know because I had saw it when it was listed at Calcruising for that amount). Or there is a Burnt Starburst Orange Custom with a 427 w/ Hillborn injection that routinely shows up for the amazingly low price of $9500. Well this car is listed online at Collector Car Ads for $150K. I actually called the REAL seller and informed him that it was listed on Ebay and he was so appreciative he sent me a really nice T-shirt from Collector Cars.

I report every one of these fraud attempts to Ebay through live chat and find that the listing is pulled usually within the hour. But as with the Ragtop I was mentioning above already 6 people had bid on it and have probably had their Ebay IDs stolen.

So help get rid of the crooks that are preying on the unsuspecting and report these suspicious ads. These JERKS make it bad for everyone buyers and sellers.

John

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ebay Lurker Supreme..

Hi Gents,

I, too, purchased my '56 on Ebay from a gentlemen about 1500miles away from where I live. I'm of the mind set that if they don't have a phone number or give you one in email, then I I'll walk away from a car. It's reasonable to expect a few phone calls and communication on any large-ticket item. You still assume risk, but a conversation on the phone can take things a long way. Besides, on a vehicle you have to have titles transferred and money orders made to people, so annonymity is out of the question in my mind... :cool:
K

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have sold lots and bought lots on ebay.

Never bid ahead of time, all you will do is make the price go higher, new bidders often do that, plus some sellers have their friends bid to drive price up.

I never bid until the last couple of minutes, usually a item that is being bid on will be won in the last few seconds of an auction. So everyone that bid ahead of time just drove the price up and made the seller happy.

So if an item has 10 days to go, I wait 9 days 23 hours and 58 minutes before i bid, if I want to get the best deal at the best price.

Also if you bid say 10.00 on an iten, I will win because I always bid 10.05 , in the last few seconds.

Hope this helps

I totally agree about the last minute bidding. I have an extremely dependable DSL connection, so I will usually wait until the last 30 seconds or so. 1) That *might* help keep the price down. 2) I don't get sucked into bidding "just a few more dollars" to get the item.

It's so easy to end up spending much more on an item doing a second or third bid! When I do last second bidding I make a firm decision on how much I am going to spend and I have no time for a second or third bid.

Just last week I missed a Snowflake 2X4 manifold by six dollars! I can guarentee that I would have bid more if I gave myself time. I needed that manifold for a birthday gift. (Sorry Dad!)

Also... PayPal, PayPal, PayPal! Use PayPal!

Like someone else here, I ran into a problem with someone on eBay. I waited three weeks and I hadn't got my item. I contacted PayPal and they contacted the seller. The seller sent the item 2nd day air, but he never resolved the issue with PayPal. So PayPal took what was left from his bank account and gave me partial refund.

This is my biggest piece of advice: If you don't know how much an item should cost, use the "Completed Listings" box on the left side, lower on the page, in "Search Options". You will quickly get an idea of what an item is selling for on eBay. Just find an item in similar condition to the one you are selling or buying! Easy!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I will not use PayPal because they operate outside the banking regulation system.

My items for sale will be accurately described to maintain my integrity. It generally results in a higher final price than someone else with a few strikes against him.

I've been burned a few times and made out like a bandit a few times, all in all, coming out just about even.

If need be, I'll give negative feedback just before the feedback time limit expires. This prevents the other party from getting back at me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts