Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go on Ebay every once in a while. I saw a 55 Nomad that needed work. It wasn't on there very long at all. So, I went on the completed listings and it showed it didn't reach reserve. It had 3 bids the first 2 bids were cancelled and the 3rd or the last bid was for $10,000.00, but then it showed the bid was retracted and the auction closed. What was that about? Anybody see anything like this before?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Who knows, sometimes I cancel bids of users with low feedback on high value items and if there really was a real high bidder maybe he asked a question that was a killer of the deal, like maybe seller didn't have clear title or something. Who knows

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
He may have had the car for sale elsewhere and sold it.
Yes, Sometimes people make behind the scene offers, and it gets sold. Ive lost many auctions on ebay because of the behind the scenes bidding.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Hard to say. One possibility is that the bidder had shills put in bogus bids attempting to bump the final selling price higher and when no one else came along and made a legit bid, they pulled theirs.

Happy Motoring,

Harry

·
Administrator
66,188 Posts
Hard to say. One possibility is that the bidder had shills put in bogus bids attempting to bump the final selling price higher and when no one else came along and made a legit bid, they pulled theirs.

Happy Motoring,

Harry
Have seen that done before just to get the ball rolling :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Thats exactly how I got my Nomad, one night my wife calls in from the other room and says Hey I'm high bidder on a 56 Nomad, I was like your what? So I look at her computer and sure enough she was and the guy happened to live not far from us a few towns over. she emails him asking if we can look at the car and he says sure. Me and a buddy go check the car out and I said well I don't do Ebay so if you don't sell it here's my number. He said and I quote "screw Ebay its my car and I can cancel the sale anytime I want make me an offer. And the rest as they say is history so it happens all the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts