Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to pass up a lot of what look like good deals on ebay. Sometimes it turns out that my instincts were good and other times I just don't know if I passed up a good deal or not.

Here's a couple examples....

1. SMART? I need a rear package shelf insert (cardboard) for my 4dr hardtop. I found one on ebay with a buy now price of $12.00. Knowing that I can order one from an online vendor for about $15 and would have to pay as much as $10 for shipping (I really don't understand why, but that's what the vendors seem to be charging to ship this item), I decided to be smart and email the ebay seller for a shipping estimate. Holy cow! S&H came out to about $37.00! That's THIRTY SEVEN DOLLARS for shipping and handling on a TWELVE DOLLAR item! The fine print says that (a) if you bid and win, you've bought it, and (b) if you pay for it immediately before getting an exact shipping quote, they will not refund the difference if the actual shipping is lower than the estimate! In other words CAVEAT EMPTOR, sucker!

2. WIMP? I need two 14" 1957 wheels. An ebay seller had four of them with almost new tires listed with a starting bid of $199.00. I know the wheels can cost $120 each and tires are easily $65 to $80 each for cheap tires. So, knowing that these four wheels/tires are worth almost $800, I waited until the auction was about over to get into the bidding. NO ONE BID ON THIS ITEM! I got scared off thinking that there must be something that everyone else knows that I'm not thinking about! I might have passed up the deal of the century, but I'll never know!

I'm just venting here, but would like to hear how the rest of you handle ebay anxiety! :)

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Mike, From over 300 transaction on eBay I have learned you that you can't check out a seller too much, especially a big dollar item. I've been lucky I guess the only thing I really got burned on was a cover for a Sportster and a couple DVD's (which PayPal reembused for). Useing PayPal dose help but I can't say it was an effortless nor speedy process.
Getting to the point now. I may have a couple 57 14'' wheels. There is a chance they are still there. If you like I'll look.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with the statement that you just can't check out a seller too much. I think caution is the word of the day when it comes to ebaying.

PS Please take a look for those wheels! Thanks Bruce.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have been on ebay since 98 with 650+ 100% positive feedbacks. Split about 50/50 with buying and selling. I have been hit just 2 times with a bad deal but I remember the 2 bad ones a lot more than the 650 good ones. I never buy something unless I know the S&H first and I never buy something that has outrageous shipping charges. On the wheels... if the guy has good feedback (both in numbers and in percentage of good/bad) then you have a good chance he is going to be an honest seller. You can always email the guy who had the wheels and see if he is going to relist them. I wouldn't buy them outside ebay because you lose some of your buyer protection (your credit card company may still help though). Would I call it a Whimp? Nope.. just using good sense and being cautious.

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
I agree. I always have the footnote on my auctions saying "I don't like extra handling charges, so I don't charge them" buyer pays actual cost from my zip code.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love that kind of honesty -- pass-thru shipping charges!

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to let you know, the estimate I got was $26 shipping charge (oversized longer than 60", UPS Domestic), $7 handling charge (standard for all items), $4 packing charge because the rear package shelf requires reinforcement so it doesn't break during shipping, for a total of $37.00....seems outrageous to me!

·
Administrator
49,373 Posts
Mike do you have your old package tray cardboard. If you do find a local upholstery shop and price a sheet of panel board and cut your own cardboard. It cuts easy with a utility knife. That may be your cheapest way out since the vendors are going to be about the same as e-bay on shipping i suspect.
Terry.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i was going to buy a first gen monte carlo from a guy in georgia, we rode down to check it out and complete the deal. The car was not as advertised, it was rusted, the 350 was very tired and to to top it off the title was not clear and the guy still wanted to me to buy the car. you can not investigate enough.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Terry - I'd be interested in knowing a little more about the kind of board that's used. I could easily make a template from paper and cut one out. What should I look for? You said "panel board," but is that all I'd have to ask for or can I be more specific? I love DIY!

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
chevman57 said:
.....since the vendors are going to be about the same as e-bay on shipping i suspect.
Terry.
Actually I was going to "check out" from one of the vendors and they charged $10 for shipping, the item cost $15, so the total was only $25, a full $12 less than the S&H charged by the ebayer and that doesn't even include the cost of the item!

·
Administrator
49,373 Posts
Mike any upholstery shop should know what panel board is. It is about 1/8-3/16 thick and is used for door panels, package trays and a lot more. you can also get one called waterproof panel board that is a little thicker and a little higher cost.
Terry.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Terry....I'm going to see if I can get to the auto upholstery shop that I used several years ago to see what they have to say.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts