Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1955 Chevy 210 Post in which I am installing a new Grille and Grille Moulding which I purchased from Ecklers. The grille seems to be OK, but the moulding does not fit together good. There is misalignment of the side bars to the lower bar, see attached pictures.

I asked Ecklers to determine if the parts are not correct from the supplier or tell me what I need to do to correct the issue. I expected that they would make and offer to replace them or at least share the cost of replacement. But, NO, they told me that they have not had any issues with these items and I would need to go get it repaired at a restoration shop. Well, that is not acceptable. The parts would need to be trimmed and then rechromed. That would be more cost than new ones.

Has anyone had any similar issues with these grille parts from Ecklers?

Attachments

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
8,805 Posts
It wold help if you could tell us what company made the parts. Ecklers doesn't make anything, they just sell everything.

You are not the first person to have this problem......you can be 100% sure of that......they just use that as an excuse to keep selling inferior parts.

Mikey

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The grille is from Danchuk and the grille moulding is from Gene Smith.

·
Registered
35,324 Posts
Well your first problem is that you bought from Ecklers. Their customer service is nonexistent.

The parts are probably either Danchuk, Gene Smith, or maybe Trim Parts. Was there any hint on the packaging?

Maybe someone has some suggestions. You didn't say what year car you have, that would help a bit.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well your first problem is that you bought from Ecklers. Their customer service is nonexistent.

The parts are probably either Danchuk, Gene Smith, or maybe Trim Parts. Was there any hint on the packaging?

Maybe someone has some suggestions. You didn't say what year car you have, that would help a bit.
I said it is a 1955 Chevy 210 Post

·
Registered
35,324 Posts
Whoops I wasn't paying attention, was I?

Not only that, you answered my other question before I asked it, because I was typing while you posted.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Fifty your not alone. I ordered from another well known company and always get what they call their Best.
So when I laid them out for a trial fit the dogs ears went down and he bolted out the dog run door.

I used a bench mounted belt sander and shaved the ends of the interlock to get them to fit better, also a fine mill file. And sealed with epoxy where I sanded and filed on them. I'm sure they will start flaking at some point.

·
Administrator
63,182 Posts
I wouldn't try and modify for a better fitment than what you have. Try the refund path first, if no luck and your stuck with them then you have no choice than to try and get a better fitment/alignment :anim_25:

·
Registered
809 Posts
I had this happen too. Lay all the moldings out off the car with no studs installed. Line them up and see if they fit together off the car if not send them back. If they fit together (no BIG gaps) you can most of the time get them to work. I had to in large the holes in the grille to get a good fit of the moldings. I found the holes in the grilles need to be made oblong. Hope this helps you and anyone else with this problem.
Todd

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all for your response. I paid by credit card, but it has been a few years ago. Just getting around to trial fit them. As one of you said, I should have removed and fit them together as soon as I received them. I could then have disputed the transaction through the credit card and got some resolution from them.

So, I will try and modify the joints and apply a protective material on the ends.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I had this happen too. Lay all the moldings out off the car with no studs installed. Line them up and see if they fit together off the car if not send them back. If they fit together (no BIG gaps) you can most of the time get them to work. I had to in large the holes in the grille to get a good fit of the moldings. I found the holes in the grilles need to be made oblong. Hope this helps you and anyone else with this problem.
Todd
Good advice but this so sad. And its not just these parts. It's many more and other manufacturers. Much of the aftermarket industry doesn't care. If GM used crap like this they could never have assembled '56s due to the backlog of '55s that required hand fitting parts to assemble them.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Good advice but this so sad. And its not just these parts. It's many more and other manufacturers. Much of the aftermarket industry doesn't care. If GM used crap like this they could never have assembled '56s due to the backlog of '55s that required hand fitting parts to assemble them.
I understand what your saying. It could be better.
But....
Taking a new reproduction part and expecting it to fit a 65 year old car like new is not very realistic in my opinion. Who knows how many times the car could have been hit repaired and repainted. When I use reproduction parts I expect to have to massage them somewhat. It's just part of the hobby. I am happy to be able to get all the parts we can for these cars and have options to boot still.
Todd

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I understand what your saying. It could be better.
But....
Taking a new reproduction part and expecting it to fit a 65 year old car like new is not very realistic in my opinion. Who knows how many times the car could have been hit repaired and repainted. When I use reproduction parts I expect to have to massage them somewhat. It's just part of the hobby. I am happy to be able to get all the parts we can for these cars and have options to boot still.
Todd
You missed the point. OP is assembling all new parts, grill and surround trim. I had a similar experience with all new mating sheet metal parts from a different company. Both parts made by the same company. Mating parts should fit together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts