Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Bought the Eclers suspension kit 57-168513-1,and also Ridtech drop spindels from Ecklers. part 57-347190-1.

What modifications do I have to make to get this together?

Peter

·
Administrator
48,313 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ridetech

Thanks for the answer, but my question what modifikations do I have to make?? or what kind of drop spindels will fit??

·
Administrator
48,313 Posts
There are two ways to properly lower your classic. One is to add lowering coil springs; the other is to add a set of our two-inch dropped spindles.

NOT BOTH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for Your answers. I am going to use QA1 Coilovers in front of the car. So the shorter springs will be sold.

·
Administrator
48,313 Posts
Before you sell, you need to find out if the disc brake conversion kit, included in the IFS kit, will work with dropped spindles....I don't think so....However, you will want to call Ridetech to find out how the spindles must be modified.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi
Had Contact with Ecklers Tech division´.... only answer was that will NOT fit.... Question was WHY NOT.....???

Regards Peter

·
Registered
35,295 Posts
davidc had the answer. The brakes in that kit won't fit the dropped spindles. This is because the bearings for the dropped spindle are different from the stock spindles.

You can get there from here but it's going to cost you some time. Send that suspension kit back, then buy a brake package for the dropped spindles you have, and buy the control arms separately.

Or, forget the dropped spindles, send them back, and install the kit using your stock spindles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Rick L. So its the brakes that do not go with the drop spindels.

Glad to get it solved. OK, I sell the drop spindels and go wit the qa1 coilovers instead... Maybe I get it as low as i want.. Pics coming

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ridetech

Not really ready with this Yet.. If You read the text for the dropped spindles.. "Must Be Modified For Use With Rack & Pinion Setups " what kind of modifications do I have to make to the spindles?????

Reduced Clearance Issues
•Strong Design Prevents Deformation And Failure
•Forged From Solid Steel
•Improves Ride Quality
•Made In The USA
•Must Be Modified For Use With Rack & Pinion Setups
•Use With Our Wilwood Front Brake Packages
•Will Not Work With CCI Rotors 57-191479, 191480, & 132343
Eckler's and RideTech have partnered up to bring you new drop spindles for your 1955-1957 Chevy. There are two ways to properly lower your classic. One is to add lowering coil springs; the other is to add a set of our two-inch dropped spindles. The dropped spindles will not in any way alter the steering or suspension geometry. In addition, our two-inch dropped spindle kit actually reduces the offset of the wheel mounting surface to the outer fenders by 1/4" per side, reducing tire clearance issues experienced with standard front spindles equipped with disc brakes on your 1955 1956 1957 Chevy. Always trust Ecklers for all your restoration needs!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
" Use With Our Wilwood Front Brake Packages"

Yes I can buy the Wilwood but I do not know what kind of modifications to get this together.... have spent 6.5k on parts from Ecklers so an answer could be in Place.

·
Premium Member
5,289 Posts
You could call Ridetech and they should be able to help you.
Found this on Ecklers website....
"THIS VENDOR SAYS YOU WILL NEED TO KNOW THE GEOMETRY OF THE RACK AND PINION SET UP. THIS COULD BE BEYOND MANY HOME SHOP MECHANICS ---- AND DOES NOT RECOMMEND ATTEMPING THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING". This Kit Is Made In The USA.

·
Registered
35,295 Posts
Wilwood has brake kits for both the Ridetech spindles and stock spindles. Two different kits, the hubs are different, otherwise the same.

One difference between using an R&P vs. a box is that you may need shorter steering arms with R&P.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts