Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I have a Edelbrock Carb 1406, carb starts good when cold and a little temperament when warm ok, but when running a little warm say around 200-210 at stop & go traffic it starts to load up until I put it in neutral run it at 1100-1200 rpm's to clear it out, but still runs a little weak for a block or two. I have adjusted the air-fuel mixture, not much change. Any ideas from you guys perspective, metering rods or metering jets need to be changed or what?

Thanks for any help here guys,

Robert

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Hey Guys, I have a Edelbrock Carb 1406, carb starts good when cold and a little temperament when warm ok, but when running a little warm say around 200-210 at stop & go traffic it starts to load up until I put it in neutral run it at 1100-1200 rpm's to clear it out, but still runs a little weak for a block or two. I have adjusted the air-fuel mixture, not much change. Any ideas from you guys perspective, metering rods or metering jets need to be changed or what?

Thanks for any help here guys,

Robert
Hi Robert.
Has it ever run correct when since it was fitted ??
Sound more like a vacuum leak, a blocked pilot (Idle) circuit part of system or possible partial blocked filter to me.
At the higher rpm you are most likely to be on the main circuit and not the pilot (idle) circuit. I am leaning more to this than anything else.
Hence the apparent lack of change in the mixture adjustments.
I would start with that before i started playing with rods or jets.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you Don't have a Fuel Pressure Regulator This may be your Problem. The 1406 is a Great Carb but it if you have more than 4lbs of Pressure it will not work Right.

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
Sometimes they can be a pain in the neck, but I still like them better than a Holly....:anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
A fuel pressure regulator is a must have with a 1406, check to make sure you have no vacuum leaks anywhere. I had a problem with my 1406 stalling out or being hard to restart when the engine was very warm, 200* range, in the Vicky, checked and tried everything finally solved it by installing an aluminum carb spacer suggested by a buddy of mine...

·
Registered
813 Posts
A fuel pressure regulator is a must have with a 1406, check to make sure you have no vacuum leaks anywhere. I had a problem with my 1406 stalling out or being hard to restart when the engine was very warm, 200* range, in the Vicky, checked and tried everything finally solved it by installing an aluminum carb spacer suggested by a buddy of mine...
Same problems with 1406 on a 327. Installed a 3/8" composite spacer from Edelbrock - OK now, but sometimes on a 90deg+ day takes a second crank to start. Maybe even a 1/2" spacer would be better.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
I would suggest two things. The first is an edelbrock composite heat spacer between the base of the carb and intake. You can search a thread i started on this subject a while back. The second as others have mentioned to much fuel pressure you need around 4 psi, best to use a good quality regulator. Both things combined fixed my carb problem with the edelbrock on my 55. Just use the search tool and type in edelbrock heat spacer and you will find the part number and other info. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to mention that I live in Denver & the car came from Chicago, that's why I was thinking air-fuel mixture out of tune. I am running a Edelbrock manifold, with a pressure gauge. Now being high altitude would the fuel pressure gauge be more or less then 4 lbs. These intake plates or what ever they are called, how are they added to the carb?

Thanks for the help here guys.
Robert

·
Registered
887 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
These intake plates or what ever they are called, how are they added to the carb?

Thanks for the help here guys.
Robert
You add longer mounting studs (usually supplied) and put a insulating spacer between the carb base and manifold. They come in various materials bolt patters, thicknesses and open or 4 hole . Designed to keep heat from transmitting to Carb.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Being from Denver as RickL suggested you might try bumping your timing a few degrees. I also run a 1406 on my 383 in the '55, I have a Holley electric fuel pump with pressure set at 5lbs which is ideal for my engine; I also have a 1/2" aluminum spacer(Edelebrock) under the carb.
My car came from sea level to northern Colorado and I did have to do one rod and spring change(can't remember the rod numbers) besides retuning air/fuel mixture and bumped the timing up a few degrees. The car has run fine now at this altitude for several years.:anim_25:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts