Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm going to put an electric cooling fan on,got an aluminum down flow radiator,going to add a/c some day?any suggestions on a brand?to get or not to get?better to push or pull? i live in south Mo. gets hot and humid here!! thanks for any suggestions!!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Puller fans work better.
If you have the radiator mounted in the 6cyl position
the dual 11" spal fan/shroud unit fits well be aware its noisy though, also a ford taurus fan fits and is cheap from a salvage yard.
When buying fans if they make a high cfm claim and the amp draw is low comapred to similar size/cfm fans , the fans performance is probably exaggerated

Regards, Robert

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Hi brad, the puller is definatley the way to go..id look at the Spal or Maradyne fans as they are better quality..the cheap Zirgo fans ( china)..well i had the motors burnout on three of them under warrenty before i got smart.Wire it through a relay cause the current draw is to much for straight through a switch..mine is wired with a temp switch in the cylinder head..on at 176..off at 166 degree's. Coolcraft makes a reasonable cost custom aluminumn shroud for whatever size you choose..dual 10-11" or a single 16" to fit your rad:)

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
i use a two speed fan out of a 6 cyl taurus. it has a built in shroud that works well with the downflow aluminum radiator i am using. it REALLY brings the temperature down when the fan kicks in.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi brad, the puller is definatley the way to go..id look at the Spal or Maradyne fans as they are better quality..the cheap Zirgo fans ( china)..well i had the motors burnout on three of them under warrenty before i got smart.Wire it through a relay cause the current draw is to much for straight through a switch..mine is wired with a temp switch in the cylinder head..on at 176..off at 166 degree's. Coolcraft makes a reasonable cost custom aluminumn shroud for whatever size you choose..dual 10-11" or a single 16" to fit your rad:)
thanks!!! thats one sweet 57 you have there!!!awsome

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
i'm going to put an electric cooling fan on,got an aluminum down flow radiator,going to add a/c some day?any suggestions on a brand?to get or not to get?better to push or pull? i live in south Mo. gets hot and humid here!! thanks for any suggestions!!
I just installed a 16 inch electric cooling fan that I bought from Skip White in Tenn. It has ball bearings and is guaranteed for life according to Skip. It's a 15 Amp fan motor . Runs at 2400 or 2500 watts. I installed a 25 amp fuse in the line from the battery to the relay for the fan. I am using the fan as a pusher mounted in front of the radiator. (no room for it behind the radiator as it is 3.5 inches deep) and I have a v/8 radiator and radiator mounted behind support. Works great and no shroud. I have installed a circ. pump honeywell thermostat to control it as I am in the HVAC business. I have tested it with a digital thermometer and my engine keeps a temp. of 190-180 at idle with no shroud. I haven't tested it on the road yet as my car is under restoration. Jim

·
12,256 Posts
It's a 15 Amp fan motor . Runs at 2400 or 2500 watts. I installed a 25 amp fuse in the line from the battery to the relay for the fan.
Did you mean 2400 or 2500 CFM??? If so, I find it hard to believe that you can move 2400 CFM of air with a 15A motor.

The dual spal fans take 25A and they are about 2750 CFM. Usually CFM correlates with amperage. I have a dual 12" Derale fan that supposedly moves 4000 CFM and takes 44A (two 265W Bosch motors).

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Sorry about that! It's actually 200 Watt and true cfm rating is 2500. 14 amps to start it and runs at 7-8 amps. Note: has ball bearings and not cheap sleeve bearings. Jim

·
12,256 Posts
Sorry about that! It's actually 200 Watt and true cfm rating is 2500. 14 amps to start it and runs at 7-8 amps. Note: has ball bearings and not cheap sleeve bearings. Jim
I'm very skeptical that you can get anywhere near 2500 CFM with a 7-8 amp fan, even on that's 14 amps. Here's a 16" SPAL fan that takes 22 Amps (~265W @ 12V) to get 2470 CFM and they're supposed to be some of the best out there.

http://www.a1electric.com/spal/specs/30102082.pdf

As I mentioned, the Spal dual 11" fans move 2780 CFM with 25 amps (~300W @ 12V). Both of those fans are around 110 CFM/Amp. You have to put energy into the motor to move the air.

My guess is you'll have a lot higher current than you think if it's really a 2500 CFM fan. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts