Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's a newbie question... I have a SPAL 16" electric fan. The radiator is in the V8 position with the Vintage Air A/C condenser and fan mounted on the outside of the frame. See attached picture. The fan is blowing toward the front of the car. Is this fan flow direction correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
No it is not correct, reverse the polarity on the fan and all should be right. This is OK if you are setting still but when you start down the road the fan and the flow from driving will counter act each other.
Jim

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,974 Posts
No, it needs to blow through the radiator toward the engine. Is it a pusher or puller fan? You can reverse the wires to change the direction if it was designed for either a pusher or puller. Some puller fans are not as efficient when reversed, to make a pusher out of it. Do you have a part # of the fan?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I told you guys I was a newbie, right? Well, I made a rooky mistake. When I checked the fan I put my hand in the front of the car and felt air moving toward my hand. I assumed (you all know what that means...) that the fan was blowing forward. I posted my question and got all of your input. I rewired the fan, reversing the polarity and checked the fan again. Now it really blew hard toward the front of the car. What I originally felt was a "back draft" from the fan hitting the radiator. I reversed polarity to its original configuration and felt the engine side of the radiator and felt air movement. Thanks for the help. I had three replies in less than ten minutes. You guys are great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.