Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed an aluminum radiator in my 55 dr. 150 wagon and have been given two theories on where to put the fan. Between the Radiator and engine or in front of the radiator. To put it on the "inside" I need to drain and remove the radiator and the 3 pulley set up and replace it with a single or even dual pulley. On the "outside" I just hang the fan and wire it. Any preferences you guys have. Can you think of any obstacles I my run into either way.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I'll be the first to say , you want it on the back side of the radiator. Better cooling.
Jim

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,392 Posts
I agree with Jim- I previously had a "pusher" and it stuggled to keep my big block cool. New engine will have a "puller" fan with some shrouding

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the way I was leaning but being a little injured , bandaged arm again , I was looking for the lazy way out. One more question please. It's been many years since I've worked on cars so when I remove the pulleys do the bolts holding them on come off or are they press studs. They will be in the way if not. I can't remember how they are installed. I appreciate your patience.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I just installed a 16 inch pusher fan on my stock 283 powerpack engine. I am in the HVAC business so I know alot about cooling things heat exchangers etc. I installed a honeywell circ. pump control on the top of the radiater between the radiator and the radiator support. I installed a RIB relay that will work with 12 or 24 volts. Wired a circuit from the fuse panel Hot thru a fuse to the common contact of the circ. pump control. The normally open contact went to the relay. Then wired a Hot wire from the battery to the common contact of the rib relay. The normally open contact then was wired to the fan. Negative from fan went to a good ground along with the negative relay coil wire.
Now I can even adjust where I want the fan to start. I have it set about 190 degrees with a 10 degree differential. The water pump fan was removed and the new fan cools great in the pusher position. There is not enough room to mount the fan as a puller unless you move the radiator to the six cylinder position. These fans are 3 to 3.5 inches wide and will hit the water pump pulley. Hope this helps Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
So ''pulling'' would be mounted between motor and radiator because its pulling air from front as you drive forward???
And ''pushing'' is mounted at very front of radiator/vehicle, pushing air against the air coming through as you drive forward, i still dont get it, i apologise i have a disability called stupid.

Could i leave the stock belt fan ''pushing'' air and then mount one of thoes 90's ford tarus electric fans mounted at very front assisting in ''pulling'' the air??

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I think you got the pushing part wrong. Pushing would be sucking the air comming in from the grill and "pushing" it through the radiator twards the engine. I hope that's clear enough to help.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a shrouded clutch fan on the water pump side and a pusher electric fan out front for extreme temperatures or slow traffic. The elecrtric fan is on a thermostat and only come on as needed.
I do have a switch inside to over-ride the thermostat if I am anticipating a potential problem. (ie: parade or heavy stop & go traffic).
Most of the time the original setup is sufficent.

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts