Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
49,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many have used an electric fan on their tri-five? Electric only or as a companion fan? Pusher or puller fan? Lastly which brand and good or bad aspects of it? Thanks in advance ,Terry.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,566 Posts
Terry I just bought a pusher fan to use as a companion fan due to overheating in traffic. I'll be putting it in this weekend so I'm not much help on letting you know how good it works.:(

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'm going to be using Spal, I heard they were good, theres a couple more like Flexlite or darale not sure on spelling, I'm not much help but spal is what I'v seen on most hotrods

·
Registered
875 Posts
Terry I put a pusher fan on my 57 and it seem to be OK. Then I took it off and put on a clutch fan from 85 Monte Carlo and a fan shroud and it works great even in 100 plus weather we have been having hear in Texas.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have no experience with electric fans on a tri-5 but have used many on the streetrods that I build.Puller fans are more efficient than pushers,pushers also often block the natural air flow.Spal and Derale are the two that I've had the best luck with.I have owned many 55's over the years and have always been able to cool them with a good radiator,flex fan and shroud.I also try to run mechanical fans on my rods but will sometimes run a pusher as a back-up....I usually use a 10" mounted high on the rad. If I'm running strictly an electric,I always use a puller.Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Eletric Fans

Their is nothing better than a good electric fan set-up. I have a 68 L-38 427 in my 56 with a new Griffin radiator. It always ran hot until installing an electric fan. I found a used fan and shroud from a Volvo on eBay for $40.00. Made some mods to the shroud so it would fit the radiator, installed a 180 on/170 off themial switch run thru a relay and it works perfect. I plan on adding A/C so, I also added an auxilary 16" flex-lite pusher fan in the front that is connected to a 205 on/190 off thermial switch. I have faster warm-ups and no longer fear overheating when in traffic.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Electric fans

I put in a good quality crossflow and twin 11" Spal fans with a twin relay system and switch mounted in the intake manifold. Took me some time to sort out the correct switch, but at the end of the day the electric fans/crossflow radiator system cured my chronic cooling problem. Here in south, during the summer, it get's not only very hot but humid.. I simply don't have the problem of cooling my car anymore..

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
350 small block, Vintage Air A/C, Griffin radiator with shroud, 180 degree thermo single pusher fan. In Sacramento, California it is not uncommon to be 95 to 105 degrees all summer long. With this set-up I never run hotter than 205 or 210 even in traffic.

55fazzi

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Guys
There are loads of electric fans out there that will do the job. Spal being one of the better ones. They seemed to spear head the pancake design which made the electric more useful when you could fit a unit in tight quarters. Spal also gave a more accurate CFM rating which made my job a lot easier.
Yup LECTRIC is a good ting :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts