Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a blown '57 Belair-671 BDS supercharger with 2 600 Edlebrocks. I'm presently running a high flow mechanical fuel pump. I want to install a Holley Electric fuel pump. My question: can I keep the mechanical fuel pump on the motor and have the electrical one supplement the mechanical one? Are they compatible with each other or would I be defeating the purpose of the electric one? I only drive the car every few weeks and it takes forever for the fuel to reach the carbs. (no chokes). I know there is alot of wear and tear on the starer with all the turning over it has to do. Thanks for any suggestions/advice, Carmine.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Hard starting is due to no choke, but then you knew that. If your pumping the accelerator, to start the engine, you adding raw fuel to the cylinders, that wash the oil off the rings and walls. As far as two fuel pumps, I see no advantage to it, that and if the electric one has more volume, the mechanical one will reduce the volume. :anim_25:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Are you sure that you are waiting for fuel to get to the carbs? I would think that you should have enough fuel in the bowls to start with out any problems. If you do change over to an electric pump ditch the mechanical.

JB.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I always like electric pump for mulit carbs. Check and make sure your accelerator pumps are working . With out a choke you need the extra shot of fuel to start when cold. AFB style carbs are hard on accelerator pumps. Don

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hey Carmine, one thing to add about starting a blower car. I run an electric fuel pump on mine with Holley carbs, so I'm not sure if this is necessarily applicable in your situation, but the guru at BDS told me that I should pump the throttle 3 or 4 times (to the floor and back) then wait ten seconds before I crank it. You need to allow time to get the fuel down in the cylinders. You probably know this, but DO NOT give it gas while you're turning it over as you could backfire. Catch it on the backside when it starts to fire up.

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Carmine, one thing to add about starting a blower car. I run an electric fuel pump on mine with Holley carbs, so I'm not sure if this is necessarily applicable in your situation, but the guru at BDS told me that I should pump the throttle 3 or 4 times (to the floor and back) then wait ten seconds before I crank it. You need to allow time to get the fuel down in the cylinders. You probably know this, but DO NOT give it gas while you're turning it over as you could backfire. Catch it on the backside when it starts to fire up.
Thanx Shawn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts