Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
I haven't sen any posts here, but I think you might find something on the Hot Rodders Forum.

I read some info on installations and early installation comments, but nothing on the actual drive quality, ease of installation and other requirements that would be necessary for his particular upgrade.

You could also search in the HHR etc forums. I purchased a new HHR Panel over a decade ago, and recently sold it. It had electrical assist steering and it was a remarkable improvement for a FWD car. The Steering changes the effort required to steer depending on the vehicles speed. I greatly dislike FWD, but it was a needed car at the time and I enjoyed driving it except it tight corners the FWD was a PITA..

If you can' find what your seeking,, then let me know and I'll email a friend that might know..

This upgrade might very well work better with a R&P kit as well.

good luck,

Michael...

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
25,951 Posts
Has anyone tried electric power steering on a 56 with a column shift (automatic).
I don't think it would be feasible to have column shift wit5h the column mounted power assist motor, as the shaft is turned by the motor outside the column. There is electric power assist motors mounted to a rack but don't think the rack would be compatible with tri-5's. Here's a previous thread to add electric PS. https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165556&highlight=electric+power+steering

·
Registered
35,512 Posts
Electric power assist steering has just never caught on as a conversion.

As with hydraulic power steering, OEM electric power steering systems will vary as to feel and feedback. It's also something that can be botched in a conversion.

I think the biggest reason electric power steering isn't used more is that the usual conversion has the power unit mounted on the steering column. This means it has to compete for space with other things in the under dash area, which can get pretty crowded on a trifive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts