Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried one of these retro fit electric steering units yet ? I haven't heard any pros or cons

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I can’t remember where I saw the article, but yes it has been done. I was surprised to see how easy and cheap it can be done.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
A friend of mine installed it in his 65 Ranchero; he scrounged all of the parts from the wrecking yard and had to do a fair bit of fabricating to get it in, but it worked well when completed. I see that there are now complete bolt-in kits available...I haven't seen one yet in a TriFive, and in general it hasn't sparked my interest, although I can see the attraction in eliminating the hydraulic fluid, lines and pump, which are are potential sources of leaks...and I hate leaks!

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
I recall prior threads. All who installed one complained of no feel for the road.
Having a 15” steering wheel and no power steering I’d be all over it if it were recommended.
Jim

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
I have rack and pinion on my '49 Olds 98. and although steering is a breeze. I don't get a good road feel. I have a '62 'Vette I'm working on, and I am seriously considering installing electronic steering. It all goes under the dash and not visible in the engine bay. I have very soft tires and a 15 inch steering wheel, so steering is beginning to be a little tough for this OG. I would like to hear from actual users...It's about a $3K investment.
Bob

·
Registered
35,578 Posts
Electric steering simply doesn't have many users.

For me, there's enough going on under the dash in that area without adding to it. I think that's what turns off many prospective users.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts