Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood

Hey Tri Five Fam! Some of you may know but for those who don’t, I bought Gene Smith Reproduction Parts almost 2 years ago. We’ve had a rough year getting materials and keeping parts in stock due to everything going on in the world so we thank you for your patience and support. Not only are we investing thousands in repairing/ replacing old tired tooling we are also developing some new parts that aren’t currently available. We are working tirelessly to make sure the Tri Fives can last into the distant future. We’ve partnered with Roadster Shop and enlisted EV West’s help to develop what we think will be the first electric Tri Five which we’ve named “Belectro Air.” We aren’t doing it for “green” reasons because that debate has holes on both sides. We are doing it because the technology is interesting and it will hopefully give a new generation an option to get into the culture and style. Our goal is to produce a turn key chassis for anyone that wants to bolt their body onto it. “Bolt/ plug and play” if you will. Here are the build specs:

1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe
Goal: >1200HP, All Wheel Drive, < 3 Seconds 0-60, >200 Mile Range
Motor: Yes Motor(s), 2 of them...
Chassis: Custom Roadster Shop
Show Debut: 2022 SEMA

If you’re curious to follow the build here is the website and Instagram:
www.EV55.com
IG: BelectroAir
If you have any ideas feel free to send them over. Our goal is to make the coolest EV Tri Five possible so people who may have not been interested in Tri Fives will give them a second look. We know there’s lots of ideas we haven’t thought of. We’d love the support of the tri five community because that’s why we’re here.
P.S. we know this won’t appeal to everyone and that’s okay. We’re prepared for the pushback. Gas runs through our veins but there’s no fighting technology so we decided to adapt and see where it takes us. If it fails, that’s okay, at least we gave it a go.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think it would be very cool if you mount one or more speakers under the trunk that produced ficticious engine sound (cam/exhaust) that was somehow intergrated with the gas pedal. Then you could really have fun with people. ...even have fake duel exhaust pipes that rattle (move ever so slightly) just a little. You can ask people to guess the engine size and then show them under the hood. And you can be as loud or soft as you like....and if you really wanted to...you could have compressed air come out of the fake tips, just saying.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Love it or hate it, this technology is here to stay. It's all around us on the roads, and only natural that people will begin using it in hot rods and muscle cars...and I think that's great. IMO, the people - apparently like Gene Smith Parts - who are early adopters and find ways to seamlessly integrate the tech into drivable (and affordable) street rods will be the Offenhausers, Holleys and Shelbys of our generation.

I love the concept and wish you good luck; hope you make it to SEMA 2022. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I like it, it's not for me personally but the concept is sound.

Like you said the green debate can go back and forth but any car enthusiast who hates this idea but has the slightest interest in performance should go for a pull in one of the faster Teslas and see if it doesn't open their mind just a tiny bit.

Sounds like an aggressive timeline to get it done, I'll be watching. Spill a little on what motors you're using, pack setup etc? There is a huge DIY EV community so it would make sense to use off-the-shelf components for motors etc.

Also, how do you figure the HP number? I know that's not 1200 true electric HP or you'd need to be towing a shipping container worth of batteries.

Reactions: Gene Smith Parts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Who knows what the future holds. It is hard to imagine the day that regulations would actually eliminate our gas engines, but there are a lot of things going on that I thought I would never see. It is probably smart to be on the front end of this technology curve than to be on the back end. I wish your company the best with it.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Look like you have a good base to start with. With dual motors the back seat is the only place for batteries. How do you work out the weight distribution? Will follow the build good luck.

Later,
Kev

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Thank you for seeing a future that includes our beloved Tri Fives. The push back you will get around here is just part and parcel of a bunch of stubborn and incredibly ignorant people that can't see that change and innovation is the way of this hobby and always has been.

I look forward to the day that the corporations that are keeping the aftermarket alive start offering lithium batteries and motors over the counter just like headers and fuel injection systems today.

I am smart enough to build chassis and create the space needed for the parts, I just need to educate myself about the EV side of it.

Don't worry about these naysayers, they are all just about done and when they shake off these mortal coils the next generations are waiting with baited breath and smart phones clutched in their immaculately clean little hands to swoop in and recreate their own versions of cool.

Thank you for the glimpse into what is possible.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
It’s an interesting concept and I wish you luck. It may well be the wave of the future (though I frankly hope it is not).
What occurs to me is the market for such a car will exist where two very different demographics overlap: A lot of folks that are interested in old cars enjoy the visceral sounds and feel of the drivetrain (guilty!). A fair few folks that like how an electric car drives (I’ve driven twin motor Teslas, and while they are fast, I found them to be less engaging than I’d like- I say this for illustration, not judgement) won’t like some of the things that go with the vintage design.
So the market exists where those two groups overlap…and that have $100k or more to spend on a depreciating asset.
Again- I wish you every success. I am neither a business owner nor an industry expert; I say this all as idle speculation.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like it. We all need to start thinking about Electric Drive, as we may be surprised in say 15-20 years when/if gasoline fueled vehicles are outlawed. Stranger things have happened!

Possibly by then there will be technology that links an audible vintage exhaust sound as the accelerator is depressed!:)

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have no interest in EVs. They trade 1 problem with lots of other problems. I will be bootlegging alcohol and biofuels out of my garage for my hotrods, if they ever take the gasoline away in my lifetime. But, I don't see it happening.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I find this rather intriguing, myself. And I'm a guy who absolutely loves the sound, rumble, and feel of a cammed V8 - it's almost like a drug to me. But if I could bolt my 57 crew cab hardtop onto an electric chassis and give my friend's C7 Z06 a run for his money in the 1/4 mile...I'd be tempted. As with any other current electric, though, I'd be a bit worried about a long distance cruise. So, until battery technology actually lives up to 1000+ mile range claims, I'd have to be content cruising locally for the time being. Dogface's comment has merit:
I think it would be very cool if you mount one or more speakers under the trunk that produced fictitious engine sound (cam/exhaust) that was somehow integrated with the gas pedal.
Technology exists to eliminate/reduce exhaust noise using sound that is 180* out of phase with the exhaust note, so why not a sound generator that replicates a V8 sound? You could pick different engines based on your mood...today I want to sound like a blown 427, or maybe a cross-rammed 302, or maybe a Vega if you're about to blow the doors off a GT500. 😁

On a side note, who knows what nefarious activity I could have gotten into if I'd have had an electric car when I was 16...I had no chance of sneaking out or in with my 67 Camaro with glasspacks, headers, cam, etc. With an electric I may have stealthed myself into some jail time. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I dig the build - if I could afford to, I would have a similar electric drivetrain in both of my 55s. Also, please don't make it sound like a plain vanilla ICE setup. Electric motors have a peculiar futuristic whine and that's way cool. If simulating an engine sound is necessary, I recommend imitating the off idle tone of an F-22 Raptor. Saw one of those scooting around at the air races some years back and I'll never forget that sound.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,474 Posts
To add to this, work with NerdRods and come up with a chassis that integrates an EV system in a front engine style with the Corvette suspension and price it all around $10k and you will probably sell them like beer at a July rodeo.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If I ever start another project I would love to go electric. With a 200 mile range I would only need to charge it once a year, which seems to be about all the miles I can put on 5 different toys. The way the loud exhausts sounds on many vehicles that still seems to be a fad, needs to go away anyway, including one of mine. I can't even run it hard, because I can be heard a mile away. More fun to be stealthy fast, and get away with it. It's still going to be a few more years before it gets affordable to convert to better power, unfortunately. If more people would have embraced Nikola Tesla's
ideas 120 years ago, the gas powered cars never would have made it until now.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts