Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for ideas about electric trunk locks and electric door locks. A guy parked next to me at Somernites and he had a shaved trunk lid with electric trunk opener (and a third brake like fabbed into the lid). he said he just used a GM electric trunk latch but didn't say what he got it from. There seems to be a large amount of suppliers of trunk kits, solenoids, etc....but what are you guys using or have modified to use?
Josh

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looked at Electric Life, they have the door lock kits at a reasonable price. May go with them. Found Autolok as well but need to research.
Josh

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Terry. Will do.
Josh

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,791 Posts
Josh....East Coast Chevy has an electric trunk lock and door lock kits.....Pages 128 and 129 in their newest catologue #48.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got a email from Hotronicsproducts.com. i asked if their kits would tie together as I wanted to operate the trunk and door locks and an alarm. They said they would but they don't sell alarms because they use their battery kill switches instead. More to think about.
josh

·
12,256 Posts
Josh, there are lots of alarm systems out there that have keyless entry features. I got one for my Nomad. It has several channels on it. The key fob has a lock button, unlock button, and one extra button that I'm using for a hood release. I built my own hood release using a solenoid. Seems like something that would be adaptable to a trunk release too.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You used Panther, correct? Since I've never had to deal with this type of thing before I'm a little bit lost as to what I actually need. If I bought, let's say, the E-L doorlock and kit and bought an aftermarket alarm with the controller, then I can tie it all together? I tie the door lock controller into the alarm controller? Anyone have a website I can look at with diagrams on how a typical one is set up?
Josh

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I Used Electric Life on my trunk. It was not a boli in item. If I were to do it again I think I would look at the Caddy units. They close then pull the trunk down snug. I love my power door locks also.

Good Luck. Hey BTW your 57 is looking way cool

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Bruce, is there any particular years of Caddy's I should look for?
Josh

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I'm trying to recall, It seems the ones I looked at were late 80's to mid 90's.

I welded a bracket to mount the solinode and another on the latch mecanisum to pivot. I also moved my trunk emblem done over the key hole, In the event I have a malfuntion I can get in through thr emblem. I also put a button I can reach from the drivers window. :anim_25:

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Josh, I'm not sure what system Races14 has on his car but he controls it all from the key fob...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts