Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to find out what wiring members prefer when running a electric fan with a thermostat ?
1. Wired to the ignition system so the fan shuts off when the ignition is turned off ?
2. Wired to straight to 12 volt so the fan will run until the thermostat shuts the fan off?
Witch way do you run your fan ?????

·
Registered
795 Posts
I think your poll needs some work, but I wire my fans through the thermostatic switch and to 12v hot. Some newer factory stuff has a post-run timer so if it gets shut down with the fan running, it can continue running for a bit and try to alleviate heat soak, but that seems like a hassle unless you're controlling the fans with an ECU with the function built in.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,182 Posts
my efi controls my fans and they do not run if the engine is not running. the low speed comes on at 195 shuts off at 187, the high speed comes on at 207 and shuts of at 195. Low speed is also engaged if the A/C trinary switch asks for fans.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think your poll needs some work, but I wire my fans through the thermostatic switch and to 12v hot. Some newer factory stuff has a post-run timer so if it gets shut down with the fan running, it can continue running for a bit and try to alleviate heat soak, but that seems like a hassle unless you're controlling the fans with an ECU with the function built in.
Sorry my post doesn't meet your approval !

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I think your poll needs some work
I agree.
The only choices I see, are All w/ a capital A, and one without.

Sorry, if my reply doesn't meet your approval.
I/we use pwm controls.

·
Registered
795 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
If you wire it for off with the ignition, you can add a toggle switch so you can manually turn it on if you want. Which is what I recently did, mostly so I could check to see is the fan runs okay whenever I want. It worked great for troubleshooting, after dealing with a random fuse blow when the fan started. Replaced the 30 amp mini-fuse with a 30 amp mini-breaker and solved the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
The only problem with a "run regardless of ignition position" is it will run with the key off but you are only cooling the coolant in the radiator and the block gets no effect until the engine is re-fired as there is no coolant flowing through the hot engine. Furthermore since the sending unit is in the block it takes a while for the fan to shut down, sometimes up to 10 minutes and that can really put a dent in your batteries capacity if it is a little run down you may need a jump to get home. (Don't ask me how I know this)

Mine is actually wired to run anytime the accessory is hot, that way I can turn the engine off at a long stop light and let the fan cool the radiator and its contents down. Then when the light turns green I restart and the now room temperature coolant brings my 220 degree engine down to a proper 185.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I use adjustable thermostat controllers, and wire the fan power through a HDD relay, so the stat pulls the relay in to start it. I wire them to the switched ignition source so as soon as I shut the key off the fan stops.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts