Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a limit on how many ground wires that you can link to the door jam switch?

I have power going to six LED door lights and six ground wires connected together and one single wire going to the door jam switch of my 55. Power is from the fuse panel and the headlight switch is not involved.

Problem is that sometimes, when I open the door the lights are bright and then go dim. Other times, they function normally.

Do you think that this has something to do with the door jam switch? I mean that the door jam switch is not able to handle the grounding of so many lights?

I took the switch apart and cleaned it as it was sticking. If you get a chance, open one of them up. I got a good chuckle seeing the inside of the switch.

I was thinking of getting a 80's door jam switch that has an extenal ground wire that can be screwed to the body instead of depending on the switch/mounting screw as a ground.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
Are the LEDs in the door? If so how is power getting to the LEDs.
It's probably just the flakey switches. You don't need much ground for LEDs. Do you also have a standard dome light on the door switch? Does it change brightness? It won't be as noticeable as the LEDs. I had a 57 switch that I took apart 3 time and it was still intermitent. You might try putting more tension on the spring (stretch it) or try a different switch. Do both door switches act the same?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the LEDs in the door? If so how is power getting to the LEDs.
It's probably just the flakey switches. You don't need much ground for LEDs. Do you also have a standard dome light on the door switch? Does it change brightness? It won't be as noticeable as the LEDs. I had a 57 switch that I took apart 3 time and it was still intermitent. You might try putting more tension on the spring (stretch it) or try a different switch. Do both door switches act the same?

Don, The LED's are getting their power from the fuse panel. Previous owner(s) did not connect the dome light to the headlight switch when it was wired, so I just tapped into that power wire.

Yes I have a dome light, but its not yet hooked up. Thanks for reminding me. I forgot to connect the overhead dome light. As for the other door, I have not done anything to that side but the dome light works.

I will open up the switch and stretch the spring a bit to see if that helps. At least now I know its not the amount of wires that I connected to ground.

How in the hell did I forget about wiring the overhead dome light? What an idiot!!!

Thanks Don

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
A LED dome lite will reduce current draw.......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts