Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you know how sometimes with electrical problems its right before your nose but you can't see it, well that is what I have with my 65 chevelle. Being a tri-five guy and used to turning my switch counterclockwise to the lock position when putting it in the garage, I did the same with my 65 chevelle, problem being of course that is the acc position on the chevelle. Long story short after several days battery was completely dead when I went to start it and after a full charge the battery still goes dead over night but when charged and checked with the tester the battery tests good, in addition even after a full charge when I start the car the voltmeter reads normal for about 2 minutes and the goes to 16 at idle and pegs when reved up. I changed batteries and still had the same problem. The altenator is definitely charging because the interior lights go super bright when you rev the motor up. unhooking the ground cable and checking for a spark when touching the battery produces nothing. I know that I am getting old but this is getting me frustrated....could it be the internal voltage regulator??? any help would be greatly appreciated:confused0006:
 

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
Joined
·
26,426 Posts
in addition even after a full charge when I start the car the voltmeter reads normal for about 2 minutes and the goes to 16 at idle and pegs when reved up. I changed batteries and still had the same problem. The altenator is definitely charging because the interior lights go super bright when you rev the motor up. unhooking the ground cable and checking for a spark when touching the battery produces nothing..could it be the internal voltage regulator???
It sounds like the alternator is overchargeing. Check that the voltage sense wire from #2 terminal of the alternator is connected to 12 volts at the alternator or the battery/starter. If the sense wire is connected, tha regulator should limit the voltage to around 14 volts. The regulator could be bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Don

Thanks Don, the sense wire is connected and I hooked up a spare voltmeter that I had and verified that the original was working, I will replace the altenator tomorrow, that is the only thing that I could figure also. I guess that I cooked something leaving the switch in the accessory position that long? or maybe just a coincidence and the regulator went up about the same time.
Thanks again I appreciate the help
 

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
Joined
·
26,426 Posts
Do you have a "gen" light or is the voltmeter stock? The exciter wire that goes to the #1 alternator terminal may have damaged the regulator when left on. Was the internal regulator alternator stock?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36,142 Posts
My guess is you have two things going on at once.

Your regulator has the voltage too high, and you need to fix that by replacing it or adjusting it, if it's even possible to adjust.

The other thing is that your battery is probably has sulfated plates and it's either going to take some care/special procedures in recharging it, or more likely you just need to replace it.

When you get the battery back right again, consider putting a trickle charger on it when your car sits for any length of time. The "Battery Tender Jr." is a product that could work for that. I've not used it but I'm convinced it's a good way to go, and I'll be buying one soon for my Nova that has the same electrical system as your Chevelle. The correct type of trickle charger won't overheat your battery but will keep the charge topped off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,701 Posts
As Rick said a battery tender is the way to go (not a trickle charger though). You want it to send juice to the battery only when it senses it needs it. I use to have issues with my Camaro and Willys Jeep all the time. Not any more. I use one on my Harley in the winter too. The 55 will get one when I get it all together and hooked up this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don, the altenator was stock, the voltmeter was added, I also thought that the regulator was damaged by leaving the switch on, better start taking the key out so I don't get confused with my 57 again.
Rick and Tj thanks, I plan to replace the battery and the altenator..I apprecaite everybodys help, it is good to get assurance that you are on the right track. This is without a doubt the best site ever for guys that are quick to pitch in and help, I hope to be able to add assistance whenever I can on my part
 

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
Joined
·
26,426 Posts
....could it be the internal voltage regulator???
Is the alternator internally or externally regulated. I thought the stock alternator was externally regulated. I assumed it had been replaced with a internal regulated alternator. If it has an external regulator, the alternator is probably Ok, and the regulator needs replaceing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don
You were right on, replaced the voltage regulator after pulling the cover and seeing how the points were smoked, charging normal now, thanks for the help. I guess sometimes we make problems too hard for ourselves, as a younger guy I used to take the regualtor apart and file the points to repair them should have picked up on that right away...age slow the brain
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top