Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the steering column, for rack and pinion installation, prior to disassembly everything worked fine. I reassembled and now my taillights come on with the headlights but the stop lamps do not work, and the turn signals don't work either.
I replace the flasher, but still same problem.
Any ideas would help, thanks.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
I pulled the steering column, for rack and pinion installation, prior to disassembly everything worked fine. I reassembled and now my taillights come on with the headlights but the stop lamps do not work, and the turn signals don't work either.
I replace the flasher, but still same problem.
Any ideas would help, thanks.
Is the column connector plugged backwards or not connected good? ..... http://www.trifive.com/garage/56%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-30.gif

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don,
No I do not have a connector just wires coming out the bottom of the column hole, which match the diagram, then to make matters worse the car from there was rewired with different color wires. That was The way I bought it.
Replaced the rear lamps, to no avail. Thanks for the diagram.

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
See if a couple of heads might be able to come up with something.

What year Trifive to start off with first.

On 57 wiring:
on park you should have tail & front park lights.
on headlights the front parklights go out rear tail lights remain on.
indicators should allow tail & front park to flash
brake lights should work when pressed

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a 56 Belair, I noticed in Dons diagram the yellow wire goes to flasher, from steering column, I have a 12 volt flasher with two spades, during install it fell out I am assuming the other wire must be a powered wire.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
Don,
No I do not have a connector just wires coming out the bottom of the column hole, which match the diagram, then to make matters worse the car from there was rewired with different color wires. That was The way I bought it.

It is a 56 Belair, I noticed in Dons diagram the yellow wire goes to flasher, from steering column, I have a 12 volt flasher with two spades, during install it fell out I am assuming the other wire must be a powered wire.
Yes, one spade of the flasher goes to 12 volt power, the other to the yellow column wire.
To determine which wire goes to which light, disconnect the wires from the column, jumper 12 volts to each of the wires seperately and see which light lights up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts