Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, still working on getting my 700R4 transmission ready for installation. I've read several stickys and many threads. Took some advice and contacted the transmission center who send me what was needed to convert from electronic to mechanical speedometer. That installed really well. Additionally, I also ordered a TCI lockup kit for the converter. Thats where the problem lies. If I read the directions and looked at the parts once, l did it at least a dozen times and I'm no further ahead. They call some parts by technical name and I don't have a clue which one they are referring to. Just today, I realized that I have to run power to this kit. I don't have any power going to the old one. And there's a plug that has I think 3, maybe 4 prongs that something gets hooked to. I know this has to be done so I'll just have to keep studying the schematic and directions. I do believe I'm starting to approach the level of regret for puchasing this kit. Especially, since I think it will operate without it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Carmine, I'd call the manufacturer and have them explain what they sent you. I assume you have a schematic and at the very least, you should be able to highlight the parts in question and scan it to email or fax maybe?

Regardless, call them and good luck.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
There are some good explanations on bow-tie overdrives website explaning the wiring on the lock-up. That is where I bought my kit for my 700r4 install, but I had a shop put mine in.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have a part number?
Yes. Part #TCI-376600. I did email them with questions and the only response I received was in re. to hooking up the red wire from the supplied white plug to a switched hot source, black wires, from the same plug, one of which is a ground, to a small black plastic gadget which has a male vacuum end. That was pretty much the extent of their response. I still have what I think is a pressure switch and wiring harness, neither of which I have a clue as to where they go or what they hook to. In all due honesty, I didn't take the pan off yet to take a look inside to view any existing wiring. For some reason I can't envision electrical wires inside a trans. pan filled with fluid. That's part of my struggle. Yup, I'm in over my head on this one; again, Carmine.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ok.> Now are you doing a speedo or a lock up kit? That number is for a lockup. Yes the pan has a few wires in it. Its very simple to do. You will replace the harness with your new one, find the 4th gear switch, replace it with your new one then the harness will go to the plug in the case. 1 wire will go to the outside plug from the car. I like 1/2 of this kit. Bowtie OD sells 1 with a brake switch for the power. http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/tci-376600.pdf

·
Registered
37,237 Posts
Take photos of the parts you can't identify and post them here. We will identify them and describe where they go.

Once you know what you're looking at, then your questions can move to the wiring.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok.> Now are you doing a speedo or a lock up kit? That number is for a lockup. Yes the pan has a few wires in it. Its very simple to do. You will replace the harness with your new one, find the 4th gear switch, replace it with your new one then the harness will go to the plug in the case. 1 wire will go to the outside plug from the car. I like 1/2 of this kit. Bowtie OD sells 1 with a brake switch for the power. http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/tci-376600.pdf
I'm doing the lockup kit. Just finished the speedo conversion. I do have the tv cable from the old trans. that I'm removing. How about some direction as to where I might find this 4th gear switch?? Would it be inside or outside the pan?? Thanx for your help, Carmine.

Rick L-I will post some pics. TY.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Inside the pan. Look on the second page of the directions I put on a few posts ago. It will have three versions on the page, you want street/strip

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was up early today and read and re-read all these threads and directions including others from a different time. Made some notes and went out to the garage and wheeled the tranny outside. Took the pan off and I couldn't believe the wiring I saw. I still don't understand how the wiring conduction works while submerged in trans. fluid, but apparently it does. I studied the wiring, looked at the directions supplied by TCI and reviewed my notes for the next hr. or so. During this time, I identifed the solenoid and the pressure switch. The wiring still confused me but I then realized I was trying to install some things backyards/upside down. I thought somethings belonged inside the case and they don't. I continued trying to figure this out and I think I might have it. I didn't cut any wires yet until I review it again. Honestly, it does appear quite simple once you can identify the parts given and the location of the ones in the trans. TCI never did this and it added to my problem. I do have two additional questions:

1-the black gadget, I still don't know what it's called, has two wire prongs and a male fitting for a vacuum line. This was supplied by TCI. I'm assuming I have to run a vacuum line to it. I can get vacuum from one of the ports on my Edelbrock carb. The carb. has a port on the driver side and one on the passenger side. Which one do I use??

2-the kit came with two round blue connecters. Wiring will have to be cut and connected. I've never seen connecters like this before. Do they get crimped?? Can I use reg. wire ends?? Everything is submerged anyway and in contact with the fluid.

I also supplied 7 pics of the trans. and kit. Five in this thread and 2 in the other. Thank you, Carmine.

2-

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
I was up early today and read and re-read all these threads and directions including others from a different time. Made some notes and went out to the garage and wheeled the tranny outside. Took the pan off and I couldn't believe the wiring I saw. I still don't understand how the wiring conduction works while submerged in trans. fluid, but apparently it does. I studied the wiring, looked at the directions supplied by TCI and reviewed my notes for the next hr. or so. During this time, I identifed the solenoid and the pressure switch. The wiring still confused me but I then realized I was trying to install some things backyards/upside down. I thought somethings belonged inside the case and they don't. I continued trying to figure this out and I think I might have it. I didn't cut any wires yet until I review it again. Honestly, it does appear quite simple once you can identify the parts given and the location of the ones in the trans. TCI never did this and it added to my problem. I do have two additional questions:

1-the black gadget, I still don't know what it's called, has two wire prongs and a male fitting for a vacuum line. This was supplied by TCI. I'm assuming I have to run a vacuum line to it. I can get vacuum from one of the ports on my Edelbrock carb. The carb. has a port on the driver side and one on the passenger side. Which one do I use??

2-the kit came with two round blue connecters. Wiring will have to be cut and connected. I've never seen connecters like this before. Do they get crimped?? Can I use reg. wire ends?? Everything is submerged anyway and in contact with the fluid.

I also supplied 7 pics of the trans. and kit. Five in this thread and 2 in the other. Thank you, Carmine.

2-
Quit thinking about wires and fluid. These are low amps etc and not in water..

1- I would run this off of manifold vacuum (full time), or off the rear of the carb if you can. The piece can be mounted under the dash or the firewall.
2- I dont think anything in the pan will be cut (new harness at least). I still think the bowtie kit is much cleaner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts