Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evidently the emergency brake hasn't been used in years before I got the car six months ago.
Looking at it appears I am missing a lot. My front cable goes right into the equalizer of the rear cables going to the brakes.
Looking at a drawing, I don't have any of these parts I have circled
http://heavens-gates.com/50s/parking-brake.jpg

I see the clevis, idler level and spring at Danchuk but not the guide or other side bracket. Do you know where I could get the other parts or a kit with it all? I assume these parts I'm missing would be needed?
Also would you have a picture of what I'll see when I remove the wheel and brake drum to see what is wrong to free up the emergency brake.
Thanks, John

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Emergency brake frozen

No the wheels aren't froze, I just can't pull the emergency brake out enough to hold the car should I need it. Even without those parts that have been eliminated it seems to me that with some force I should be able to engage the brake, thats why I thought maybe something is wrong within the wheel drum. Can pull the handle about three clicks and thats all.
John

·
Registered
948 Posts
Ch3vy, JohnT is absolutely correct. You need the brackets supporting the equalizer bar. I recently installed an entire ebrake assembly from the under dash handle to the spreader bar behind the brake drums. My car is an ex-gasser and the previous owner removed the entire ebrake assembly. It was running ladder bars and tilt front end and who kknows what else. Was able to find everything on eBay. I have an extra passenger side bracket the equalizer bar goes into if you can't find one.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I just recently rounded up all the parts for my '57 Wagon to get the E-brake going because my car was an old super stocker from back in the 70's and all of the stuff was gone too. It won't work at all just hooking the front cable up to the rear cable, you have got to have the leverage that the original set-up provides you with. I know because I tried it like you have described and you can't even pull it hard enough to get to the first click on the handle.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think either bracket that bolts to the floorboard is available aftermarket, but all the other pieces can be bought to do the job.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,351 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Emergency Brake Parts

This is what I now have ordered from classic chevy. Does this look like everything I'll need?
Thanks, John

Chevy Emergency Brake Floor Brackets, Used, 1955-1957 52-393 1 $79.99

Chevy Emergency Brake Clevis Assembly, 1955-1959 20-16 1 $17.99

Chevy Emergency/Parking Brake Return Spring, 1955-1957 20-89 1 $8.99

Chevy Emergency/Parking Brake Adjusting Linkage Kit, Non-Convertible, 1955-1958 20-91 1 $44.99

Chevy Emergency Brake Idler Lever, 1955-1957 20-93 1 $18.99

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,351 Posts
This is what I now have ordered from classic chevy. Does this look like everything I'll need?
Thanks, John
John....Without looking at your car.....I can't really tell one way or the other....Hopefully, that will do it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
If you haven't already, you might want to check the pulleys that are down at the toe board that the front cable wraps around. When I got my car the front cable couldn't hardly be pulled at all, not even one click. One of the rollers was froze solid. The cable was rusted it to it with a bunch of gunk too. New rollers took care of mine.

If you had some to copy, you might could fab the other parts you need pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Mine was hesitant to work also, until I added new rollers and cleaned up the shouldered bolts that they ride on. Thats the main piviot point(s) for the cable to make the turn back under the car.

The cables that pass thru the brake backing plates are also spring loaded and attach to a big arm underneath all of the brake springs. the big arm needs to piviot freely. With someone cobbeling up just a "Y" equalizer, I would imagine you are just getting e-brake action on one brake or the other, depending on the line pull of that cable and where it is positioned. some damage might have happened in the backing plate area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts