Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a trick to removing the handle?

Mine is old and starting to crack. I have a chrome replacement one that I want to put on. I noticed that a protruding cylindrical knob prevents the current handle from coming off. I thought that all I had to do to remove the old handle was to push the knob in, with some blunt type of tool/device, and slide the handle off.

Well after 45 minutes I recessed the protruding knob a bit. However, it is not enough to slide the handle off. Using a hammer on a blunt object on top of the knob is not doing it anymore. It seems that I have pushed the knob in as far as it will go.

So my gut feel is that the handle is not coming off due to user error on my part.

Is there a special technique or tool to use?

Eddie

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Eddie, I have removed loads of them. You have to punch the pin you see on the underside of the handle into the shaft. It will go in far enough to get the handle off. Try some penetrating oil and let it sit overnight. When you remove the handle and are ready for installation, punch the pin out first, install the handle and then drive the pin into the handle until it's flush with the handle. Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts