Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have just put the quick change out of the race car into my 210 wagon It has rear disks on it and I am trying to put the emergency brake on the rear yoke I have seen the drum style on older cars but was looking for a nice little disk on the rear yoke I was told it has been done but in all my books and mags I cant find anything. Any ideas ???

P.S. I do have a yoke with a pully on it to mount the alt or power steering on the rear end I am going to attempt to modify it and put a little disk on it.

Thanks to all

·
Registered
277 Posts
Bin there done that and it will not work! Don't waist your time and money on the disk as it will not hold even a light car. In our state, Wa., the state patrol will ask you to put the e-brake on and put car in drive at idle. The car better not creep forward or you fail the test and will come back another time.
I had this type set up on a light T-bucket and with car shut off, trans in neutral and e-brake on you could still push by hand the car forward. It will not hold even on the slightest incline. Do your self and some innocent bystanders a favor and install a proper e-brake system. You may want to look into an electric brake lock like truckers use, it locks the brake fluid in place with a line lock sorta soleniod. You push the brakes down and hit the switch. Don't recommend it over regular discs in rear BUT it is an opption to look into. Some states are legal others are not. JMO, Lon

·
Registered
220 Posts
The e brake for the tri-fives is one area that has been completely overlooked by the aftermarket houses. The original setup is by no means safe, and for the most part, is useless [about as close to junk as you can get with 12 feet of chicken wire]. I've given up on trying to get mine to work as one would expect. When I'm on a road trip and haven't found a nice piece of flat ground to park on, she goes into gear with a small 2X4 set under one of the rear wheels. The worst nightmare would be seeing your jewel rolling down the street after setting your trusty e-brake...An opportunity here for the inventive ones in the group.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have never had a problem with stock e-brakes in good working order on a try5. One problem people do have is they think they have self adj. brakes and their not so you have to stay on top of adjusting them periodically. Also the e-brake cable because of stretching will need adj. A cable, shoe, drum e-brake will have more surface clamping than a cable, disk (puck), rotor. Lon

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I have never had a problem with stock e-brakes in good working order on a try5. One problem people do have is they think they have self adj. brakes and their not so you have to stay on top of adjusting them periodically. Also the e-brake cable because of stretching will need adj. A cable, shoe, drum e-brake will have more surface clamping than a cable, disk (puck), rotor. Lon
I have to agree with Lon, all three of my '55s stock e-brakes held fine if properly adjusted and maintained. I have always had manual transmissions and I always park with it in reverse and set the brake. If you have a good engine you won't have a problem with it rolling away.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I drive my 55 3-5 times a week. It’s my real daily driver as no doubt many of the other fine tri-fives here are on this forum. But I also remind myself that these cars were built 50 years ago and it’s a very different world today. The e-brake is just a very weak design and should be recognized as so. With that, I lean to the safe side and refuse to get in the habit of relying on it [and worry if I did my weekly adjustment or the chicken wire cable has stretched to much again]. We all drive our cars a little differently and all have our own views. My view regarding the e-brake is an alternate system should be developed, just as one might consider disc brakes for better and safer stopping power.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello guys thanks for the help.Straycat have you used the system that is shown on the site 57belair showed. Ok well I am in the process of fabricating my own yoke mounted e brake I will keep you guys posted on the progress of how things are going I am using a 10in disk off a dragster and have some work to do but the car is far from done I will put some pics up as soon as I get started.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes, same one. They have sold them 4 years. There's just not enough sq. in. of puck to rotor surface to do any good , add to that the force generated with the cable/lever is inadequate. I even added to the fulcrum point for more leverage and still would not hold. I know it looks promising but please don't waist your time and money on this set up. JMO, Lon

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks straycat I will try another way to go I didnt think far enough ahead when I put the quickchange out of the race car in the 57 I have the rear disk with no other way to put on a e brake. I could allways drill a hole in the floor and stick a bar through the yoke and stop the drive shaft from spinning..(HA, HA)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks 55Nomad57 that might be the easiest thing to do. I will try and keep you guys updated on how things go.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
You might consider adapting Cadillac calipers with the built in e brake provisions to your rear discs.
They still don't hold as well as a drum emergency brake... I guess that's why most new rear disk setups have a small drum style e-brake unside the rotor...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts