Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Body jewelry Jewellery Gas Font

I've found why my hand brake won't pull. This is the top pulley. It seems like the pulley is missing a center piece that the bolt goes through.
Note how the pulley has nearly sawn through the bolt.
Does anyone have a pic of what the pulley should look like?

Registered
馃悢County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
I don't have a pic of a new one but it's quite common and they make them and are for sale at various places.
Also, don't rely on that being an emergency brake. It's just a "parking" brake and will only help a small amount in an emergency.

Registered
1955 210 two door post, six cylinder, three on a tree, Navajo Tan and India Ivory
The pulley is made from two stampings that are paired up and spot welded together. There is a small inner flange (less than 1/8") in each half which form sort of a hub. The center portion is obviously missing from yours as it has worn away. There are two such pulleys on the outside of your firewall. You can order both the pulleys and the bolts. I would replace both. From the amount of wear evidenced by your photo I would suspect that the cable is fatiqued and worn also. The replacement cable is also available from most classic car parts vendors.

Premium Member
1957 2 door sedan 210, (running) & 1957 2 door B/A hardtop (apart)[
This isn't going to help you much, but the replacement pulleys are also available in plastic. From what I have seen, the plastic pulleys seem to be a better fit on the shoulder bolt that the pulley rotates on. Plastic can be a great material and it can be brittle an basically junk, or anything in between It all depends on the properties of the polymer used to mold the part. The metal replacement pulleys I've seen had a very sloppy fit on the should bolt. I think I read where they are foreign made.I've considered fabricating metal pulleys on a friend's lathe. Others may chime in with more information or a source for more precision metal pulleys if they are available, or their experiences with either replacement pulley

Administrator & Tech Articles
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Circle Auto part Rim

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have a pic of a new one but it's quite common and they make them and are for sale at various places.
Also, don't rely on that being an emergency brake. It's just a "parking" brake and will only help a small amount in an emergency.
I need it for the car to be complied down here

Registered
In case you still need pictures, these are of my disassembled '57:
Automotive tire Wood Gas Rim Automotive wheel system
Wood Household hardware Auto part Metal Tool
Wood Auto part Tool Metal Circle

Pops' post #5 above looks like the right parts to match the original.
The pulleys look like they could go in either way and work just fine.
The shoulder bolt can only go in one way, because the brackets have a large hole on one side to accept the larger shoulder bolt, and a hole on other side that is only large enough for the threaded part of the bolts.

Registered
1955 210 two door post, six cylinder, three on a tree, Navajo Tan and India Ivory
It would not be a hard job to turn a couple of pulleys on a lathe. If I were facing high international frieght costs I would not hesitate to make them. Any imperial shoulder bolt of the correct size will work. I believe I would stick with steel or ductile cast iron. If you did pull hard on it a plastic pulley might not hold up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts