Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am converting the front engine mounts to the side engine mounts. Adding cross member to a TH350. Question being....do I need to loose the stock engine/bell housing mounts or keep them? Thanks for your input.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,024 Posts
I am converting the front engine mounts to the side engine mounts. Adding cross member to a TH350. Question being....do I need to loose the stock engine/bell housing mounts or keep them? Thanks for your input.
I think I would remove them but you don't have to, but make sure they are not sagging when you set up the rear crossmember mount.

·
Administrator
66,170 Posts
Danchuk sell a conversion kit for converting from original pg to turbo350/400.

They mount to your original frame ears :tu

·
Registered
67,768 Posts
I would remove the bell housing mounts for exhaust (& header)clearance and a cleaner look. :tu

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many Thanks

Thank you! I really appreciate your input. Will be out in the garage tonight with the hubby-getting ready to switch the motor mounts, install crossbar, and put on new headers. Then off to the shop for exhaust. Really excited.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Another suggestion that I found out this weekend . . . if you go with rubber mounts on the engine, you HAVE to go with a rubber mount of the trans crossmember so that everything flexes the same!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate the info. Already in hand and ready. This is next weeks project and then hopefully off for exhaust. You guys are the greatest! Love quick responses.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Another suggestion that I found out this weekend . . . if you go with rubber mounts on the engine, you HAVE to go with a rubber mount of the trans crossmember so that everything flexes the same!!
I don't buy that advice at all.
I'm using rubber engine mounts and a urethane transmission mount.

·
Registered
690 Posts
You may be right (especially with auto trans) Roger, I'm not an expert by any means, but it does make sense. If the front is flexing and the back is rigid (some of those urethane ones are hard like a rock), then you are probably torquing on the front shaft of the trans. All I know is after all the money I've spent, I'd rather not leave it to chance.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've known a number of cars that have used factory style rubber engine mounts and a urethane trans mount and suffered with a vibration through the car at certain speeds. Replaced the trans mount with rubber and all was well again.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
I've known a number of cars that have used factory style rubber engine mounts and a urethane trans mount and suffered with a vibration through the car at certain speeds. Replaced the trans mount with rubber and all was well again.
I am presently doing it with a number of cars and about to do it with another. I can't see any sense in the contrary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts