Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this might be a silly question, but I'm wondering what would be the stock engine color for a 57 Chevy 265 V8 engine color would be? I'm guessing Chevy Orange but I just want to make sure. The 265 is the part that really has me second guessing.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,521 Posts
I am one of those evil people that paint it according to the exterior color. But my color choices leave my engine either "aluminum" painted or Ford Blue. I know, painting a Chevy engine Ford Blue should put me in one of the inner rings of Hell, but my Impala engines were aluminum painted heads and block with Ford blue accessories (where chrome could not go). I even painted my 1987 Toyota pickup engine Ford blue when I pulled it out to put in a new seal.
Eldon

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I saved that "What color was it" chart - pretty much tells me everything I need to know at this point! Thanks!

·
Registered
956 Posts
MikeKy55 that's really cool.
Is that original or have you redone it as original?
Was it the '57 265 that was that color and the 283 was Orange or was engine color random or how was that determined, do you know?
Now I'm wondering if that "what color" chart meant the 265 instead of the 235.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I have a book titled: ORIGINAL CHEVROLET 1955-1956-1957 The Restorers Guide By Robert Genat. 1957 265's were bright yellow color. They were available with a 3 speed manual or overdrive only. They were rated at 162 hp and the reason for the color difference was so the assembly line workers could tell them apart from the 283's which were chevy orange. 1956 the 265's were red not orange.
Dave

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
It's not mine. I got the pic from a fellow who owns it and when he said it was original and un-touched, I believe him. The 57 265 CU IN engines were this color. If the 57 had a 283, it was Chevy orange.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wish I didn't ask the question now, I think it will be cool to go back stock, but most people are going to think "Why didn't he just paint it orange?"

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, next question, where would I get 57 yellow paint? I want to test paint a few things to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
956 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts