Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For guys running the side engine mounts like found from brothers and a bunch of other places, how far forward are yours mounted?

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
For guys running the side engine mounts like found from brothers and a bunch of other places, how far forward are yours mounted?
I put mine to where I had just a little room behind the distributor (small HEI).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Geeze! Yea when the motor was in before there was very little room out back but up front you could tuck a body sideways. I'm going to the crossmember forward three inches atleast and up as much as possible... this is I'd Tucker's has a trans mount in stock I can pick up. Where is your crank pully in relation to the front crossemember

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
I wanted this engine as far back as possible. Good for weight distribution and room for my cold air pipe. Got about an inch between the electric fan motor and the water pump. Just perfect.

This should give you a good idea:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's does help. Previously the puppy was just barely over the crossmember in front. Also any idea where I can find the OEM front crossmember. Thanks again.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
..Also any idea where I can find the OEM front crossmember. Thanks again.
Is yours gone???

I'd guess you would have to find a donor.

As far as the side engine mount crossmember like I have, they are cheap and easy to install. Also allows you to place the engine exactly where you want it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the side mount already. The original one is still in but years ago when dad put the motor in he mounted the alternator on the bottom and to get the alternator to clear he cut out a section of it. He said it "broke his heart" to do that so I'd like to fix it with a new one that's not hacked. What year truck would it have to come out of?

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
I have the side mount already. The original one is still in but years ago when dad put the motor in he mounted the alternator on the bottom and to get the alternator to clear he cut out a section of it. He said it "broke his heart" to do that so I'd like to fix it with a new one that's not hacked. What year truck would it have to come out of?
If you've got a mig, I would repair the one you've got.
If you can get a good photo of an original, you should be able to restore it to where it wouldn't be detected that it was ever hacked.

Can you take a picture of yours?

I can sure take a really good photo of mine for you. That tpi engine is coming back out so I can blast and paint my frame. I was just mocking it up now so I wouldn't have any of that kind of work to do later. I can take photos of the crossmember from any angle you need. Measurements too.

Don't know if you are in a hurry or not though. I might not be removing the engine for a few weeks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking of doing that. Or trying to find one and cutthat sectionout and weld it in. Were goingto Phoenix in two weeks andwas gonna try to go to desert valley auto parts and see if they have it. Ill keep you posted. Its gonna be hard to reconstruct. Aussie its right on the curved area

1 - 9 of 9 Posts