Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Engine Decoding

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  craig32 
David, I think by now you've seen that the stampings aren't always as listed in the directories. The 'F' is the same in 55 as in 56, only the block casting number will differentiate between years. You have a 56 engine, and will have a '991' block. T is Tonawanda and 56 is the year, same as in mine, except yours is MUCH BETTER!!! The Corvettes had a 2 letter designation, the autos started with an F and the manuals started with a G, and the 'F' in 55 and 56 was for a powerglide.

Sorry, I meant your CAR is much better than mine! I think a lot of the 55's got 56 engines in them over time because of the oil filter. From what I've heard, the on the top of the engine oil filter system was an option, some were on the firewall and some didn't have any at all. This is going from the memory of people who told me they had them when they were just learning to drive, and are retired now. . .
The long numbers on the stamp pad were only that way for two years, as in 57 it went to the letter for plant, build date and designation code. The 5-6's were a plant serial number, plant, year, and code. I think all the sources (t5 library, Danchuck, etc) state this. As for the 'F' being listed as a 55 code, I previously had a 64 that had the original engine, and the code was listed in the sources as a 62. It was explained to me that it was common to keep the same designation for a few years for the same size, transmission and HP (ex - 327, 4 bbl, PG) My engine ends with 'T56FB' and has Corvette valve covers, but it isn't a Corvette engine. The casting dates indicate that the block and heads are original to each other. But hey, it runs now, and I just need to get this 3 grand worth of sheetmetal put on it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.