Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions and ideas, putting a 4dr HT back together after some much needed front end work, this car has 38000 original miles on it so not looking to do total disassembly,etc, plus I just pulled a set of headers going back to rams head exhaust system. engine has a fair amount of grease on the block, looks like the valve covers have been leaking a bit. Suggestions on how would you clean the block and what paint would everyone recommend to repaint with. The car is in my basement shop so minimal mess when cleaning the block is what I am striving for, will need to use cleaners like Gunk or something unless some better ideas pop up here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you can rent a Hotsie hot water pressure washer with diesel cleaner soap injection. That’s the best I’ve ever used.

·
Registered
66,013 Posts
depends on your looking for. just something presentable or show type appearance. do you want to repaint it and is it out of car? here is mine. :anim_25:

Attachments

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,856 Posts
If you can rent a Hotsie hot water pressure washer with diesel cleaner soap injection. That’s the best I’ve ever used.
I don't see how that would work in someone's basement workshop and cause minimal mess.

Probably best to stick with oven cleaner (no fume) and Gunk with a large drip pan.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I second the oven cleaner. You might want to get you one of those cheap tarps at HF and put under the car. They are cheap enough you can just throw it away when you are done. Pressure washer would still be best. I have used the CRC Engine Degreaser (Walmart has it) and like it better than Gunk.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not looking for show quality at this time, right now just want to get the car back on the road and cleaning up, so going to stick with degreaser curious about paint just stay with VHT chev orange?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I've used oven cleaner and a product I bought at O'Reilly's called oil eater. It cleaned up the 454 I'm putting in my pick up quite well. Hosed it off with my pressure washer. I don't know how to do what you want to do with out making a mess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good that you are doing engine detailing . Keep in mind that you will need a degreaser in future . For that I recommend you to use a spray degreaser . Spray degreasers are best because they are way less concentrated and can be used and cleaned up easily . Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Spray degreasers will work, Simple Green, Purple Power, etc., etc. You are going to make a mess so throw down a tarp like was mentioned or get some absorber pads.
Is there ANY chance to push it out into the driveway? A hot water pressure blaster is your best method. Soak the engine in Simple green and then spray it.
If you want to paint you will need to get the block and components squeaky clean, otherwise you are just wasting time and paint. :)
Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good that you are doing engine detailing . Keep in mind that you will need a degreaser in future . For that I recommend you to use a spray degreaser . Spray degreasers are best because they are way less concentrated and can be used and cleaned up easily . Hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts