Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i spent 2 hours reading how to determinr #s matching engines.
I think i understsnd that the best i can do is prove my engine was built a little before the body? So mycar was

built in march of 1955? No idea how to find when engine was built !
Vin B55S094674
Engine 3836288. This was hard to read .hope it is correct.
Thanks bill

·
Administrator
70,795 Posts
I think i understsnd that the best i can do is prove my engine was built a little before the body? So mycar was

Vin B55S094674
Thanks bill
On the pass side of the front of the block there should be a square 2 inch pad that has letters & numders, what is the info on the pad.

·
R.I.P. 3-19-2017
15,575 Posts
I can't find that casting number in my books. There is a number on the block in front for the passengers head on a flat spot on top of the block. It should end in one or two letters which will tell you when it was made and the basic configuration i.e 2 or four barrel auto or stick etc. If you can get that number i can be of more help.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Vin B55S094674
Thanks bill
According to your VIN, your car was built in St. Louis on Friday, February 18, 1955.

I think maybe your block casting number is 3836233, instead of 3836288. That number indicates a 6-cylinder 1955 engine. On a 6-cylinder the date code is cast in the block just above the starter.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Appears to be. 0I6I394t55y
No, that is the engine serial number and suffix code.

The "T" denotes that your engine was built in Tonawanda, NY.

The "55" denotes 1955 Model Year.

The "Y" suffix identifies the engine as a 235 6-cylinder with Powerglide Transmission.

The "0161394" means that this was the 160,394th passenger car six cylinder engine built in Tonawanda with a Powerglide for the 1955 Model. They started the number sequencing at "1001".

In order to determine numbers matching you will have to get the Block Casting Number and Date Code. The block casting number is cast in the block forward and right below the distributor. It should have the casting number of "3836233" if it is a 1955 block, or "3837004" if it is a 1956-57 block. The date code will be cast in the block just above the starter. The date code will begin with a letter "A-M", with "A" representing "January" and "M" representing "December". The letter "I" was omitted because it was also used to represent the number "1". The letter will be followed by usually 3 numbers. The first two numbers will represent the day of the month, and the third number will represent the year. (i.e. "5" for "1955", "6" for "1956", etc.) Example would be M214, which would be December 21, 1954. (This would be for a 1955 engine).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i see part of it

Last # is a 5 ..starter makes it hard to see.but im on the right track..Finally..chances are good its tge original engine.an 82,000.mile car! I know the previous owner well.he had the car 20 yrs and drov it 2,000. Miles. You guys are amazing and helpful.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Last # is a 5 ..starter makes it hard to see.but im on the right track..Finally..chances are good its tge original engine.an 82,000.mile car! I know the previous owner well.he had the car 20 yrs and drov it 2,000. Miles. You guys are amazing and helpful.
Just remember that in order to be numbers matching the engine date code should be before February 18, 1955, which is the production date of your car. The engine date will usually precede the car production date by anywhere from 1-8 weeks before.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Just remember that in order to be numbers matching the engine date code should be before February 18, 1955, which is the production date of your car. The engine date will usually precede the car production date by anywhere from 1-8 weeks before.
I would be a little careful of this statement.

Thumper generated the '57 production dates based on some internal memos on monthly production figures that were discovered and published. I haven't seen similar memos for '55, and based on checking date codes on my '55, I'm not sure the dates are quite as exact.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

My fault too.i thought i had the right # .didnt realize i would need advice on where to look for a different one.it was covered with grime and even though i can sorta get to it behind the starter i still can only see for certain the last 2 numbers55 .need a new flashlite and a bit more cleaning.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
off the subject but

I told my wife if she would clean under the seats she could have all the $.i even removed the back seat.total $. One nickel ! Being a 55 i thought that was ironic!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.