Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this is my first post so please don't be upset if I do something wrong here I just need some help! Im 21 years old and bought a 56 bel air 150 car at the start of the year. Didnt check the oil and drove it and the engine locked up. Heres the problem; car is a 235 straight 6 and I have a newer model 292 inline 6 i want to just set in its place and bolt up to the same 3 speed manual, however i looked at the engine mounts and they are DIFFERENT. The factory engine has mounts at the front of the block in an L-Shape and the 292 has Triangular shaped engine mounts about MIDWAYS down the block. What do I do? THANKS GUYS!

·
Premium Member
16,162 Posts
Hey guys this is my first post so please don't be upset if I do something wrong here I just need some help! Im 21 years old and bought a 56 bel air 150 car at the start of the year. Didnt check the oil and drove it and the engine locked up. Heres the problem; car is a 235 straight 6 and I have a newer model 292 inline 6 i want to just set in its place and bolt up to the same 3 speed manual, however i looked at the engine mounts and they are DIFFERENT. The factory engine has mounts at the front of the block in an L-Shape and the 292 has Triangular shaped engine mounts about MIDWAYS down the block. What do I do? THANKS GUYS!
You have a few different issues to deal with on this swap. As you already know the mounts won't work. You should be able to get past that with a set of side mounts for a V-8 and the corresponding rubber mounts. The other issue is the 292 will not bolt up to the 235 bell housing. You will need a 55-57 V-8 bell housing, It will bolt up to your 292 and connect to the existing trans mounts. There is a lot more to this swap and you may find it easier to get another 235 and bolt it in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts