Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going to try and post a video of my engine noise. The sound goes away when it warms up but I can still hear it under a load. Sounds like it is coming from cylinder 1 or 3. Compression was 120 on both, which sounds low, but it was the same on cylinder 2. I have moved the timing all over the place.

Anyway, the video post may take me a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9QS20i6aGI

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yes, the ticking sound is the AC compressor, not a lifter. Which is another issue (I think the AC may be overcharged). But let's focus on the missing.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
I take it the noise is still there when the engine warms up ? Get yourself a long hose, and put one end up to the fuel pump first, to see if that is where the noise is coming from. If not there, move on to the valve train. It sounds like fuel pump to me.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Have you removed the accessory belts, and restarted it??

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds just like an exhaust leak at the header and exhaust flange.
We have a winner!:congrats: Sorry, I found the issue and didn't follow up with a post. Hypurr is pretty darn close. The gasket between the header and head was not square on the two inside exhaust valves. I guess the gap was just right to where I heard it when it was cold, the expansion of everything getting hot closed it off just enough to quiet it down when idling or cruising, but when under load it would push through again.

Thanks everyone for helping. It was driving me crazy.:eek:

·
Premium Member
19,668 Posts
We have a winner!:congrats: Sorry, I found the issue and didn't follow up with a post. Hypurr is pretty darn close. The gasket between the header and head was not square on the two inside exhaust valves. I guess the gap was just right to where I heard it when it was cold, the expansion of everything getting hot closed it off just enough to quiet it down when idling or cruising, but when under load it would push through again.

Thanks everyone for helping. It was driving me crazy.:eek:
tim

glad things worked out for u and u found the issue :party0031:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts