Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Too many variables to answer, stored where, how, etc. (inside, outside, temprature, what kind of lube was used to assemble it. IF it were me, Id put fresh oil in it, Spin the oil pump to circulate it, squirt a little oil in each cylinder and give it a go. But then, Im the devil may care kinda guy.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
As long as the engine was assembled with assembly grease it should be fine for several years, even the bore can be fine without extra oil, when I worked in a Race Engine shop, we always used no lube at all on the rings and bore, but that was using moly plasma low tension rings on super smooth bores. For street engines, if you have the engine on an engine stand, rotate until one bank is vertical, remove the plugs and with a syringe, put about 10cc of a 50/50% mixture of 10W-30 oil and Dextron 3 or 4 into each plug hole, wait 5mins, then rotate the engine 1 turn, repeat for the other bank, refit the plugs and that should hold it for years.
It's a good idea to slacken off the rockers until the valve are all closed, this will prevent the valve springs from detensioning and also seal the seat and keep the bore from exposure to air. It also helps to prevent the cam lube from being wiped off during the occasional turning over of the engine.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Mine set abiut 2 and a half years stored inside in a non heated garage and when it cranked up not one problem till the day I sold it. Man do I miss that car!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts