·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it up to 10% of the wheelbase?

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
I'm not sure if your asking what's 10% of a tri-five wheel base or what 10% of wheel base means. Since I don't know the wheel base I'll just give a hypothetical. If wheel base is 110" you can set the engine back 11" from it's stock position, which should give better weight transfer to the rear wheels for better traction.

Sorry I just read your post again never mind

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
is it up to 10% of the wheelbase?
short answer, as per NHRA rule book, yes 10%, which is 15" on a tri-five.

LOTS -o- cutting involved with that modification !!!!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ok guys, motors for mt 57 have the 348 and can get a ,350/871 blower motor but want to run a 4sp and the motor will be set back 10 inchs HELP PIC THE MOTOR!:sign0020::party0031:

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
10% is measured from the c/l of the spindle to the c/l of the #1 spark plug hole..
Crank c/l cannot be higher than 24 "...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Which way?

A blower motor, either big(871) or small block(671) with a 4spd, is a ball to drive. The 348 would be my distant 3rd choice. Top off the combo with a 57-64 olds/pontiac rear with 4.10 or 4.30 gears and hang on!!!
Let us know what you decide /al

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you have it, go with the 348!!! Run a pertronix or a crane electronic conversion in the dizzy. Progressive dual quads or three deuces. Should be a pretty reliable driver.

·
Registered
112 Posts
setting the motor back and running a blower can be a pain to adjust the dizzy,but that problem can remidied by running a summers bros front dist drive that runs off the timing chain cover. i setting my 57 up with a blower and a summers unit.will be posting pics soon.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Brad,

Go with the blower motor!!! No need for a stereo, then. :D

If you move the engine back 10% wont the blower be coming up through the front windshield? On a street car? Or is your car a drag only car?

I like nitrouspro's response, it sound like a blast!!!

Later,

Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
street car!! looks like the 348 dual quads:wavey:

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's almost a shame to hide half the 348 into the fIrewall. Not many engines as pretty as a dressed 348/409 in my opinion. 'Cept maybe a Nailhead......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts