Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the largest CI engine with a blower that will fit in a 55 without cutting a hole in the hood? I'm currently have a built 327ci with a 650 Holly. :confused0006:

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Well...you could build a 454 CI small block that would be the exact same size as the 327 you have in it now.

I'm assuming you're talking about a roots style supercharger, not a centrifugal. A centrifugal would be pretty easy to fit under the hood even with a big block.

Getting a roots blower under the hood without cutting it...I'd say you're limited to a Weiand 144 or 177 or the newer Edelbrock E-Force blowers (which are made by Magnuson I think).

I doubt you'll fit a big block and a roots blower under the hood without cutting it.

·
Premium Member
1,333 Posts
Well...you could build a 454 CI small block that would be the exact same size as the 327 you have in it now.

I'm assuming you're talking about a roots style supercharger, not a centrifugal. A centrifugal would be pretty easy to fit under the hood even with a big block.

Getting a roots blower under the hood without cutting it...I'd say you're limited to a Weiand 144 or 177 or the newer Edelbrock E-Force blowers (which are made by Magnuson I think).

I doubt you'll fit a big block and a roots blower under the hood without cutting it.

Agreed in every aspect!

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
I talked to a guy that has a big block with a blower, but he didint want to cut the hood so he just took the hood off and runs the car without it..

·
Administrator
271 Posts
I agree with the above posts. The physical dimensions of a 283-400+ ci small block are going to be the same. No way an 'ol school 6-71 blower is going to fit on a trifive without cutting. The roots style are great for instant torque and really run well. Look at most OEM vehicles that are supercharged from the factory and they are running magnuson or similar superchargers. They are a great street-style blower that have great boost off the line, but won't produce the high boost that a procharger or vortech unit will. If I had to make a choice, I would lean towards roots for a street/weekend strip car. If it was for racing, then think about a centrifugal blower.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate all of the advice. :tu

It will be mostly street driven with some occasional weekend strip action. I like the look and style of Edelbrocks E-Force unit. Has anyone used this one?

What do you think my finished install clearence would be between the engine and the hood?

·
Registered
961 Posts
And don't forget...

There are other supercharger types, belt driven centrifical types and even double turbos to add pressure without hood cutting.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
A roots type blower is not going to fit unless you go with the smaller 177 like was mentioned before. I have seen test were they found these to be less than sufficient on a BBC. I would go with a Vortec or procharger. They can produce a lot of boost and clearance is not a issue , they are more efficient than a roots I hate to say that because I run a 8-71 in my other ride.

If you are looking for a huge BBC, you could run anything any size. Dart makes some big engine blocks. You could this one up to 763 ci.

http://www.dartheads.com/products/e...e-series-tall-deck-iron-chevy-big-blocks.html

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Boost PSI?

What is the largest CI engine with a blower that will fit in a 55 without cutting a hole in the hood?
I believe your question should be "How many pounds of boost can I get with a blower, or centrifugal, or turbo, without cutting the hood?". Once you land on that answer, then "How many cubic inches of engine can I fit under the hood with my chosen power adder without cutting the hood?".

If you specifically want a Roots blower, it's most likely going to be a street style unit like the Weiand/Holley 100 Series, which obviously don't make big boost compared to the bigger GMC style blowers.

And to run big boost, you'll need low compression. If you had a 454 inch SBC, would you want more than 10-12 lbs of boost to go along with it?

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Some do & some don't - -

My buddy is putting a 468 C.I. BBC in his '55 and wanted the little Weiand blower to stick up above the hood, so he added a 4" riser.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
No cubic inch limit....

ALL GMC-style Rootes-type superchargers in either 4-71 or 6-71 sizes will fit under your hood without cutting the hood , on as big an engine as you can imagine . Those superchargers can be driven directly off the crank snout , and kept down low . There's no reason for sitting the blower on top of the engine at all . Many Bonneville cars still sport the front-drive blowers to keep the frontal area of the cars down . Lots of homework for you to do on supercharging ; don't ignore the turbochargers either. Be safe...Bob.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts