Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen recommendations here on this forum about using ER70S-7 mig welding wire on sheet metal repairs because it is soft enough to grind.

My question is: Where do you get it? I have tried to find it on line and at three different welding supply stores locally and none of them have it. I have ER70S-6 on my welder now and that is all they have in stock. Is this wire a lot harder than the -7?

Wayne

·
Registered
35,512 Posts
Is that the stuff that's marketed as EZ Grind or something similar? You can probably buy it on the internet, try Google or Amazon.

I wouldn't expect miracles with the EZ Grind stuff. I tried it once and couldn't tell the difference.

ER70S-6 is the most common recommendation and also the easiest to find. It works fine for most.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RickL, I am not sure what it is, I just read a couple of different threads a while back that recommended the ER70S-7. so I tried to find some with no luck. I found a site on the internet that listed it but only sold to commercial applications in very large quantities.

I will just continue to use what I have, it does not hammer very well and is pretty hard, but I will make do.

Wayne

·
Registered
35,512 Posts
Mig welds are too big and too hard to hammer, no matter what wire you use.

If you want to planish your welds (and it's the right thing to do), do it after you dress the weld flush or nearly so. Otherwise you're wasting your time.

A good gas weld or a good tig weld might be able to be planished without dressing the weld. But that would be only if your welding required almost no grinding.

Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
12,454 Posts
but the -7 was an improvement over the -6 in the areas I mentioned above.
That's some good info, thanx for posting it. This still leaves the prob of where to find? I've had trouble locating it myself, and want to try it.

Quite a while back a member mentioned that wire in a thread somewhere which got my interest. I wish I could remember who. It might have been Bam55 maybe.
Dan

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I knew how to gas weld or tig weld, but I don't know how to do either and I think trying to learn on the floor of my 57 is not a great idea.

I still have not found a source for the -7 wire.

Wayne

·
Registered
636 Posts
I wish I knew how to gas weld or tig weld, but I don't know how to do either and I think trying to learn on the floor of my 57 is not a great idea.

I still have not found a source for the -7 wire.

Wayne
I found it on eBay.

Don

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am having trouble locating ER70S-7 .023 MIG Wire to fit my Lincoln 180 MIG which can handle a max spool size of 8" and 10 lbs
Does anyone know where I can obtain it?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,995 Posts
I am having trouble locating ER70S-7 .023 MIG Wire to fit my Lincoln 180 MIG which can handle a max spool size of 8" and 10 lbs
Does anyone know where I can obtain it?
Thanks
I have never seen it on a small spool like what you need, Always on a 30lb plus size.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,466 Posts
TIG on something like a floor pan would take forever no real advantage IMO.

With the correct settings and gaps ER70S-6 works fine. Don't try to fill all in one shot mean stacking welds on welds. I usually stitch an area let cool and will clean it up then stitch more. Biggest mistake I see is grinding to much and getting it too hot. Grinder makes alot of heat quick and it will wrap too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts