Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1956 Belair Sedan, Resto-Mod, Many Upgrades
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Folk's,
We all have put ethanol fuel in our beasts...and the results as to the crud, and damage this does is unreal. I have rebuilt Holley's that have had this junk in them...nasty stuff to say the least.

This info is to help you find fuel that is Non-Ethanol fuel. There is an App for Android phones for Pure Gas Stations all over America and Canada. It is very helpful in avoiding having to use this ethanol junk. I recently got my car almost ready for a short cruise when my gas gauge read just above empty. Tried all the regular troubleshooting procedures...and the results were a bad fuel tank sending unit. Mind you, my 56' was in a body shop for almost a year and then another six months in an upholstery shop with a brand new stainless steel fuel tank and new sending unit. Worked before the shop time...
Here are some photos for your viewing pleasure of the damage from ethanol fuel. Ethanol will create water in your tank! The float looks like brass...I have my absolute doubts as it is an aftermarket junk probably from China.
Look for the Pure Gas App and for stations in your state or areas...my car is too nice for this junk!

Spoon Metal

Wood

Vehicle Car Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Classic car Coupé

·
Premium Member
10,125 Posts
I agree with you completely Rod. I wont put that crap in ANY of my cars. I am one of the lucky ones who have 2 stations that sell the clear gas in my small town. I pay $3.24 a gallon for ethanol free premium, but to me that's cheap insurance. Get better gas mileage too!
I have a friend that had to replace a $900 fuel sending unit in her Ford because of ethanol. If one can buy non ethanol in their area, then DO IT!!!

·
Registered
646 Posts
We now have non ethanol 91 and 93 in my area at about 15 miles away in opposite directions. I've taken both carbs off and apart more than once to clean them, replaced fuel lines and filters , run SeaFoam through the gas tank and at times Lucas ethanol treatment when I've had to put that crap they call gas in it. As a result, I now have a "studder" at times at 2500rpms and lower but goes away totally at 3000 and above. Loads up real quick with in town driving so you have to take it out and run it hard through the gears. Corn juice doesn't belong in our gas !!!!!

·
RIP April 18, 2019
681 Posts
If U don't mind spending a little more for fuel, find a small airport and buy aviation fuel. Leaded and 103 octane. I use this in my 70 lt1 in 57 nomad. Works great and smell makes people ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,481 Posts
ethanol on its own is not an issue, however long term storage as this blog refers to can be a valid concern caused by bacteria and acid caused by a mix of ethanol, water and some other properties.

Bottom line is don't allow ethanol to sit in your tank for long periods of time, if you use your car and regularly buy fuel you will not have a problem with 10%.

Tri fives have drain plugs, use then for long term storage

·
Registered
1956 Belair Sedan, Resto-Mod, Many Upgrades
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another stinking float gives up the ghost! Car had about 1/2 tank...read great, two days later back to just above empty. Going to go plastic with the one I ordered.

The Ford Float Number COAZ-9202-B also crosses to a Jeep Number J5257373 under the name Omix-Ada...and when you go to Amazon, they also show the Brass Ford and the Plastic Jeep floats.

I ordered both for under twenty bucks...delivered.

I will be replacing the brass with the plastic one...and hope for the best. Others have used the plastic ones in 56 Chevy trucks etc...seem to work great for them. Its a new sending unit, but the brass really gives me a rash!! Aftermarket garbage.

Stay tuned...will know in a few days.

Rods56

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Thanks for the info. Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts