Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Claire Carter The Telegraph
8:49AM BST 01 Sep 2013

All cars could be fitted with devices that stop them going over 70mph, under new EU road safety measures which aim to cut deaths from road accidents by a third.

Under the proposals new cars would be fitted with cameras that could read road speed limit signs and automatically apply the brakes when this is exceeded.

Patrick McLoughlin, the Transport Secretary, is said to be opposed to the plans, which could also mean existing cars are sent to garages to be fitted with the speed limiters, preventing them from going over 70mph.

The new measures have been announced by the European Commission’s Mobility and Transport Department as a measure to reduce the 30,000 people who die on the roads in Europe every year.

A Government source told the Mail on Sunday Mr McLoughlin had instructed officials to block the move because they ‘violated’ motorists’ freedom. They said: “This has Big Brother written all over it and is exactly the sort of thing that gets people's backs up about Brussels.

“The Commission wanted his views ahead of plans to publish the proposals this autumn. He made it very clear what those views were.”

The source claimed one of the reasons he was against the Intelligent Speed Adaptation (ISA) scheme is that the UK has a better road safety record than other European countries – with 1,754 people dying in road accidents last year compared to 3,657 in Germany.

The scheme would work either using satellites, which would communicate limits to cars automatically, or using cameras to read road signs. Drivers can be given a warning of the speed limit, or their speed could be controlled automatically under the new measures.

A spokesman for the European Commission said: “There is a currently consultation focusing on speed-limiting technology already fitted to HGVs and buses.

“Taking account of the results, the Commission will publish in the autumn a document by its technical experts which will no doubt refer to ISA among many other things.”

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You can bet that as soon as this happens there will be some computer guys selling chips or reprogramers . My wife's new Ford Edge ( yea I know ,Can't teach her anything )has --parental control- Using a password protected program she can set -max engine speed,max top speed, and top volume on the radio,,,, and disable all cellphones in the car. Should have had this option when my kids were teenagers !!! The computers in vehicles now control top speed .when you reach 95 mph in her car the engine starts to miss like a rev limiter is working. wouldn't take much for big brother to set top speed .

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
mmmmmmmmm Well, that's just one more reason I'm hanging on to my '57 Chevy and no...... There will be no computers nor GPS in my car...... Ever! Not in this life......

Long live the Republic,

Harry

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
mmmmmmmmm Well, that's just one more reason I'm hanging on to my '57 Chevy and no...... There will be no computers nor GPS in my car...... Ever! Not in this life......

Long live the Republic,

Harry
Harry, I like how you think... Later, Dave

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
The idea wouldn't fly in the US.
This would actually be dangerous in passing situations and might even cause more head-ons.

Some toll road speed limits are 85 mph here in Texas too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If this is computer controlled then it still wouldn't work on all cars. Like if you had a 55 chevy with a 265 motor in it, then how could it work in a vehicle like that? Or are they just leaving classic vehicles out of this idea?

Seth

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
You can bet that as soon as this happens there will be some computer guys selling chips or reprogramers . My wife's new Ford Edge ( yea I know ,Can't teach her anything )has --parental control- Using a password protected program she can set -max engine speed,max top speed, and top volume on the radio,,,, and disable all cellphones in the car. Should have had this option when my kids were teenagers !!! The computers in vehicles now control top speed .when you reach 95 mph in her car the engine starts to miss like a rev limiter is working. wouldn't take much for big brother to set top speed .
You were reading my mind, there will always be big brother making more & more rules for us, and there will always be that guy thinking out of the box trying to find a way around those rules, if it does go to infect, i give it less than a year before somebody figures out or designs a way around it...

Rule are made to be broke....:sign0020:

Rick

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
This idea is mentioned every 6mths of so for the last couple fo years and i cant see it happening, there will be too much opposition to it, and what about the autobahn? there is no speed limit on the autobahn....

·
Registered
5,593 Posts

Long live the Republic,

Harry
Harry, I like how you think... Later, Dave
:):tu Thanks, Dave! I'm glad someone around here does. I'm a day sleeper. Woke up this afternoon and had an E-mail indicating that someone had replied to a thread I originated yesterday evening thanking a member here for his well wishes on the occasion of the upcoming High Holy Days.

Went to the forum and found that my thread has been deleted along with the 2 threads the other member had posted previously attempting to convey his well wishes.

Checked my PMs here and rec'd a message from him indicating that he was leaving the forum.

What the hell happened here whilst I was sleeping, Dave? If you wouldn't mind doing so, I would really appreciate it if you would PM me and give me some idea of what happened and why my thread was deleted.

I do not go where I am unwelcome. And if that is the case here, I would like to know.

Thanks,

Harry

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
:wavey: Just checking in. Would greatly appreciate someone telling me what happened, as I am totally in the dark and have no idea why my thread was deleted. Will check in again following the High Holy Days.

May G-d bless you one and all,

Harry

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Harry, that stuff isn't allowed here. You knew it and Nick knew it. No big mystery on that.

I guess we'll see whether Nick stays gone. The forum he's going to now be more or less exclusive at (for now) is far more negative to a religious person IMO. But I don't know all of how he thinks.

What I didn't get was the lingo in his original post. After that it was pretty plain.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
:) Thanks for your response, Rick. The posting rules say 'No Religious Debate Allowed'. They do not say that we cannot wish someone a Merry Christmas nor wish them well on the occasion of the High Holy Days.

There was no religious debate intended nor inferred in what I posted in my thread. And I saw no evidence of it in either of Nick's threads. Whether or not someone posting on my thread got off into something akin to religious debate after I made my initial post or not...... I cannot say. For when I next visited the forum here yesterday...... My thread was deleted. That is why I asked what happened...... I don't know what was posted on my thread following my initial post and because of that, I have no idea why it was deleted.

Not trying to open a can of worms here. But would appreciate it if someone would PM me and give me some idea of what happened.

Best regards,

Harry

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I don't think you missed anything.

"No religious debate" must include no potential of it or mention of it.

Just reporting, don't consider it my opinion.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
:) Rick, I will be the first to acknowledge that I am at a disadvantage in that my thread was deleted before I had the opportunity to read over the posts by others there and understand what it was that lead to it being deleted. This E-mail notification is all the information I have......

Dear enigma57,

MP&C has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Thank You, Nick! - in the Chit Chat Area, Anything on your mind goes here. forum of TriFive.com, 1955 Chevy 1956 chevy 1957 Chevy Forum , Talk about your 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy - Belair , 210, 150 sedans , Nomads and Trucks, Research, Free Tech Advice.

This thread is located at:
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110773&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Nick, you've always been there with kind words of compassion for your fellow man. Even in our times of grief, you had just the words to offer comfort when most of us knew not what to say. It's unfortunate that someone reads this as you having ulterior motives :p3:

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
TriFive.com, 1955 Chevy 1956 chevy 1957 Chevy Forum , Talk about your 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy - Belair , 210, 150 sedans , Nomads and Trucks, Research, Free Tech Advice
That said...... I'll wait and see if Otis decides to clarify, modify or rescind the 'No Religious Debate allowed' admonishment in bold red letters at the top of this page.

To say that......
"No religious debate" must include no potential of it or mention of it.
...... Which I must take as meaning that either no mention of G-d or no mention of anything remotely religious is permitted on the forum whatsoever...... Is really a stretch.

It is tantamount to saying that the overly vocal minority of people who hate G-d and wish to impose their will on us all by removing any and all mention of G-d and scripture and religious symbols from the public domain are correct (and they most certainly are not). America was founded on the principle of freedom of religion...... Not freedom from religion......

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
At any rate, I will sign off for now and will revisit the forum here after the High Holy Days and see at that time if I can figure out what happened and why my thread was deleted.

I really appreciate your taking the time to comment on this. Thus far, you are the only person here who has seen fit to answer my query and I have the utmost respect for you. Thank you for that.

Best regards and Shalom to you my friend,

Harry

1 - 18 of 18 Posts