Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever used Evapo-Rust. Seems to work on rust. Any new product out there for surface rust ? Mike.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I've used about 30 gals of this during my restoration activities, very good but it gets neutralized after a few uses, it displays this by turning black.
While it's fresh, it's very good, it does not attack plating, so anything plated come good. I have even refreshed a voltage regulator without harm, it's work perfectly for years. I would like to know the basic ingredients, because over here it's expensive, about US$62 gal.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
For small parts I would think bead blasting would be faster and do a more complete job.

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
For small parts I would think bead blasting would be faster and do a more complete job.
It depends on the part you're wanting to de-rust. For complex parts, Evapo-Rust will remove rust in all of the nooks and crannys where blasting can't reach. A perfect example where Evapo-Rust is a better choice than blasting is when I had to de-rust the seat tracks on my '63 Pontiac Grand Prix bucket seats. They were completely rusted, inside and out. I bought a 5 gallon can of Evapo-Rust, and dropped them in and let them sit for 24 hours. The next day, I pulled them out, and the parts looked amazing, almost like new, and they slid back and forth with ease, where before, they hardly moved, due to the rust.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Parts look great .....I have used it E R .. Mike

·
Premium Member
11,684 Posts
Some of the larger parts places carry evaporust. Others, including around me, stopped carrying it and started carrying another competing brand. Take a pass, it does not work the same - much more destructive. Stick with the real thing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I use plain old white vinegar. I watched the videos on ER and it doesn't seem to work any better to me. I usually let my parts sit in the vinegar for a couple of days or so. I plan ahead so I'm not sitting around waiting on my parts to be ready. I take the parts out of the solution, wash them off, take a toothbrush or wire brush to them and all the rust is gone. The first time I used it I was pretty amazed at the results. And the best part is its only a couple of bucks a gallon.

Richard

·
Registered
67,732 Posts
I use plain old white vinegar. I watched the videos on ER and it doesn't seem to work any better to me. I usually let my parts sit in the vinegar for a couple of days or so. I plan ahead so I'm not sitting around waiting on my parts to be ready. I take the parts out of the solution, wash them off, take a toothbrush or wire brush to them and all the rust is gone. The first time I used it I was pretty amazed at the results. And the best part is its only a couple of bucks a gallon.

Richard
have used this too, cheap at Walmart. :tu

·
Premium Member
10,927 Posts
I'm always leery of this type of product, but I decided to give it a chance. I'm very pleased with its performance. I use it for lots of small parts, bolts, screws, brackets, etc. Let it set overnight and sha-zaam! Pretty good stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts