Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im building a custom resto-mod 56 mad and im contimplating installing a sunroof in it. not a cheap pop up type but using one out of a newer lexus or so. id cut the roof right off a car in a yard and fab it to the roof of the mad. i do collision work for a living and i have installed roofs b4 so i know i can tackle the project. im just wondering if anyone has ever seen a mad w a nicely put in sunroof? and also how did they work the headliner since one of the bows would be right in the way. any pics would be appreciated so i can make sure b4 i get the sawzaw out :)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I wish I could give you mine. I never use it. The Ultra Luxury model has a full length tempered glass roof with 2 sunroofs.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Think it through.

so im building a custom resto-mod 56 mad and im contimplating installing a sunroof in it. not a cheap pop up type but using one out of a newer lexus or so. id cut the roof right off a car in a yard and fab it to the roof of the mad. i do collision work for a living and i have installed roofs b4 so i know i can tackle the project. im just wondering if anyone has ever seen a mad w a nicely put in sunroof? and also how did they work the headliner since one of the bows would be right in the way. any pics would be appreciated so i can make sure b4 i get the sawzaw out :)
386, unless you're going full-blown custom, I'd think the sun-roof thing through. It's been my experience that a sun-roof in a classic actually diminishes the value of it. I've seen some nice custom jobs where it didn't make a difference because they were so heavily modified nobody thought anything about it. If you're not really really modifying the car, I wouldn't cut into the roof. Good Luck with whichever way you go. :anim_25: JMHO. JIM.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
as for value im nto worried, ive wanted a nomad since i was 8 when my father had a 57 so this is my car to keep its going to be a driver. as for full custom, its not a one off car but i have already had to do a lot of custom work on the floor and the frame because it is set up on full air ride and lays frame. this car will never be put back to stock. im just trying to figure out how to do the headliner part and still maek it look nice. im gong to be doing some measureing tomorow and see what happens and ive seen a lot of sunroof ut in hot rods and when they are done right and nice they look beautifull.

·
Registered
37,969 Posts
"Never seen one,I think that there is a reason."

There is more than one.

1. Sunroofs look like cr*p.
2. Sunroofs leak.
3. Most non-factory sunroof installations look just that, like an amateur installed it.

Now I know that after many years of trying, maybe some of the later luxury models have a better design than the old days, when sunroofs were junk even from the factory. That doesn't mean it's easy to transplant one.

Plan on having a skilled upholstery guy do the headliner, that's probably the least of your worries.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
"Never seen one,I think that there is a reason."

There is more than one.

1. Sunroofs look like cr*p.
2. Sunroofs leak.
3. Most non-factory sunroof installations look just that, like an amateur installed it.

Now I know that after many years of trying, maybe some of the later luxury models have a better design than the old days, when sunroofs were junk even from the factory. That doesn't mean it's easy to transplant one.

Plan on having a skilled upholstery guy do the headliner, that's probably the least of your worries.
pretty well sums it up.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I've seen it at one of our meet and I just thought in a Nomad? (In Cali you see every thing and not always good.lol) Heck no, its your ride do what you like but I agree with Chevynut I would not even think about putting one in a Sedan. Come to think about I wouldn't even do that to a classic Ford.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Contrary to most of the folks here, some do like a sunroof on their car...

This is a nicely done (steel) sunroof. A friend's car cruising at Reno's Hot August Nights.

·
Registered
261 Posts
386: As far as I am concerned, it is your car so do with it what you will. Sounds like you are doing so much custom work anyway, and a nicely done job like the one pictured in the post by Mel56 looks pretty darn good. And while resale value may be an issue, it is only one if you plan to sell. For me, my 55 is sort of like my wifes diamond rings, she may talk about how they only go up in value but of course it doesn't matter because she never intends to get rid of them! Brian

·
Registered
31 Posts
OK, so does this mean we have to make room for a new life dimension of air conditioning called "3-60"? (presuming you know what 2-60 air con means)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Go ahead and put a sun roof in her. It's your car, put your mark on her..
That is what makes the world go round.
Different strokes for different folks.
Just think how dull and boring it would be If all you saw out there are bone stock TRI 5's!!

As for headliner, your upholstery shop should be able to help in your mod.

Good luck and keep on hotrodding them!!

·
Administrator
67,963 Posts
There are a couple of 57`s with sunroofs getting around here they are mild custom one has a wind back roof while the other has an electric roof, they look and suit the car but for me not my cup of tea :anim_25:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts