Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im running Spintech muffler behind a 383. They sound good except at idle, 700-800 rpm. Anyone have a suggestions on how I can get rid of the drone? Thanks

·
Registered
67,743 Posts
have an h-pipe in my 57, I think it helps. :anim_25:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,714 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't get me wrong the car sounds great. But if you've ever experienced exhaust drone you'll know what Im talking about when I say it can drive you crazy.:anim_47:

·
Premium Member
14,045 Posts
you have what is to be expected with spintech , flowmaster and mufflers like that if you don't want drone you need a turbomuffler, borla,edelbrock magnaflow etc.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Had a terrible drone in my hotrod Buick with Smitthy mufflers .I wrapped entire system with wrap all the way back to where they go over the rear end . Almost gone. Just have it while in town around 20 MPH.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I've got spintech's with a 383, no x or h pipe.. no drone, unless I set the idle to 1000 rpm. I have it set at 800. I will say this, they are LOUD as soon as you get on them. I love the sound but it gets a little old after a while.

I will say your mufflers seem to be a bit further back than mine. What size exhaust? timing and idle?
-bg8

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Have you considered resonators?

Have you considered putting resonators in your tailpipes? I know it's very tight back there by the leaf springs, but I have seen some pretty skinny ones. I run resonators on one of my other cars, and it is quiet as a normal car, and still runs 11.70's through the exhaust. Guys at the track used to always shake their heads in disbelief at how quiet my car was doing a burnout, while still running deep in the 11's. No interior drone at all with resonators.

Driver.

·
Premium Member
10,927 Posts
Driver, what brand or model of resonator are you running? I'd sure like to quiet my exhaust down some while at cruising speed.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got spintech's with a 383, no x or h pipe.. no drone, unless I set the idle to 1000 rpm. I have it set at 800. I will say this, they are LOUD as soon as you get on them. I love the sound but it gets a little old after a while.

I will say your mufflers seem to be a bit further back than mine. What size exhaust? timing and idle?
-bg8
im running 2 1/2 pipe. Not sure on the timing. Im idling at at 700 rpms

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By the way Busy its partly your fault. I think it was your car I found on you tube that had the rumble I was looking for. lol

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Resonators

Driver, what brand or model of resonator are you running? I'd sure like to quiet my exhaust down some while at cruising speed.
I am running some old Dynomax resonators that I installed in 1994. Unfortunately they are on a 65 Chevelle that is tubbed, so I have lots of room behind the tires. They are oval shaped, like a small turbo muffler, so these same ones would not fit a stock trifive. However, even something as skinny as a glasspack would knock down a lot of resonance. Some late model Suburbans use a very narrow resonator, so that may be a good place to start.

Driver.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Sound of engine with resonators

A thread like this is very hard to do justice without sound. Here is a video of what my Chevelle sounds like under load.

http://youtu.be/3i8rnERofRA

Very smooth going down the highway, no "Rappp" under accel or decel, and all you hear is engine when really bashing on it. The resonators and exhaust do not slow the car down measurably. Difference from open exhaust compared to running through the exhaust is .02 to .03 measured over about half a dozen runs, and the difference is so small as to be difficult to even measure.

Driver.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Not sure by the photo where the exhaust exits. But if the tips are facing down, you can get a drone when the exhaust hits the pavement. Exiting straight out will help some.

The other thing you can do is increase your sound deadening material in the location of the mufflers. That will help.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Recently changed mine to

Magnaflow 50s huge difference in sound. I posted a video of what she use to sound like now I need to post a new one with what she sounds like now.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts