Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finishing up exhaust and was curious if anyone has hung the pipe/muffler through the floor?
My mufflers are near the rear and there is not much in the form of frame mounting. I was thinking
of using a 3/8 carriage bolt through the floor and then attaching the hangar to exhaust. I'm not
sure if there is enough sheet metal thickness to make a solid mount. Has anyone out there have a better
idea or what do you think of my idea?
Thank you

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,378 Posts
Not the best cure, IMHO....However, if you do it that way, I;be be sure to use some LARGE flat washers for backing the sheet metal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pops. I would use some large fender washers to spread out for the strength.I'm thinking I best be looking for
another alternative.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
The floor isn't a great attachment point, and even fender washers wont be thick enough, or strong enough for the constant vibrations and stresses during normal driving. You'll need to go thicker, and probably 4" diameter.
I have used 4" electrical metal junction box covers for supporting penetrations through the floor. They're very cheap, come in round or square, and easy to drill a hole through.
Anything less will likely break through the floors.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
I've often read that if you use the body you will introduce more noise to the inside of the car. The pipes I got from Summit needed a little help holding them in the proper spots, so I put a couple hangers on sideways. In my opinion the exhaust system is like a toilet. That's were the waste exits the power plant, so it doesn't have to be pretty.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Most exhaust hangers have isolators in between the pipe and wherever it attaches to avoid transmitting noise. I know all of mine that have come with exhaust kits I buy have poly isolators on them.
Others I've purchased had a rubber belting material inline to isolate them.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
Most exhaust hangers have isolators in between the pipe and wherever it attaches to avoid transmitting noise.
Yes, I've never seen any without isolators. Still they transmit a good amount of vibration. Just going by what I've read here in the past where it was said to always hang them from the frame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts