Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the ram horn style exhaust manifols off my small block 350 to strip and paint them with the POR-15 high heat paint.The passenger side was a piece of cake,but the driver side was a PAIN.I had to remove the alternator,spark plugs,valve cover,and take the bolts out of my steering gear box!Needless to say I only want to do this once!!!!Which gaskets have you guys had better luck with copper or aluminum?Which are thinner,because I dont have alot of clearance between the manifold and ps gear box.Just wanting to get some input from guys who have been there done that!Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
gaskets

When using stock manifolds, I've always had good luck not using gaskets. I make sure manifolds are flat using a belt sander and use nothing between manifold and heads. Headers are a different story.

·
Premium Member
50,790 Posts
72 Vette

I took the ram horn style exhaust manifols off my small block 350 to strip and paint them with the POR-15 high heat paint.The passenger side was a piece of cake,but the driver side was a PAIN.I had to remove the alternator,spark plugs,valve cover,and take the bolts out of my steering gear box!Needless to say I only want to do this once!!!!Which gaskets have you guys had better luck with copper or aluminum?Which are thinner,because I dont have alot of clearance between the manifold and ps gear box.Just wanting to get some input from guys who have been there done that!Thanks!
I read your post couple of days ago. I really dreaded trying this. Well, on a 72 Vette its as easy as pie. Took them loose from the bottom first, then top. Blasted them, used the high temp POR. After drying they went back on as easy as off. I used standard silver sided gaskets. :wavey:

·
Premium Member
13,471 Posts
I use ultra copper permatex and machine my manifolds flat. I never have leaks with this method

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I've always had good luck making sure both mating surfaces were good and clean and machined flat. Then installed manifolds without gaskets. :anim_25: That's when I used manifolds. Now I am running Sanderson headers. :happy0030:

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I've never used gaskets with stock V8 manifolds. Just make sure the mating surfaces are flat and true.

No leakage problems.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I know people that do that, but I've always been afraid of leaks.
Chevrolet built MILLIONS of V8's without gaskets, and had no problems. :D

Plus, I think they look cheesy.

Chuck

·
Registered
921 Posts
If it is an old manifold that has had gaskets on it before you might try taking a wet rock and just plane it over the gasket surface until it cleans it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts