Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to start to layout my exhaust system. I want to "tuck" the mufflers and piping up close to the floor and "into" the frame space as much as possible with not a lot hanging down.

My question: Is there a rule of thumb as to how much space you need around the mufflers so as not to cook the paint on either the bottom of the floor or the frame?

When does close become too close?

Thanks,
Gil

·
12,256 Posts
Personally I believe yoiu can get as close as 1/4" without any problems, but it depends on the paint/finish. I stayed 1" from my fuel tank for obvious reasons, but I have some pretty close places to the frame snaking my exhaust through but the urethane paint should hold up ok. It also depends on how far back you are. NONE of my 3" stainless exhaust hangs down below the frame except at the very rear, where I even have it tucked up into the frame as far as possible. It's about level with the bottom of my fuel tank which hangs about 1.5" below the frame.

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
I tend to agree with chevynut, with one exception.

You also need adequate clearance for any movement of the exhaust system due to engine torque and things like that.

Probably the most critical area when trying to tuck up all this stuff is the footwell in front of the rear seat. I ended up taking those little ribs out of the floor there for a little extra clearance. Looking back, I might have been well off to take some of the dish of the floor itself, maybe a half inch or inch.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, Laz, I have gone back to your build pics a few times, I like how you come straight back off the header with the electric dump. I'm trying to see if I can do something similar with a AME type center section, there is defenently not a lot of room, your routing is impressive. I will try to keep the half to one inch in mind when I start to get to tacking it in place. As always, thanks for the insight everyone.

Gil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts